Bought some hostas, but one of them isn't.

plant (meaning, it didn't

looks completely different.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I bought some bagged hosta roots, but one of the bags had an additional plant (meaning, it didn't subtract from the number of "acutal" hostas supposedly in the bag) that looks completely different. What is this, some kind of daylily, maybe?

Darren Garrison

Darren Garrison expounded:

(meaning, it didn't

completely different.

Reply to
Ann

Looks like Daylily roots to me, do you see any signs of a "crown" or growing point?

I'd pot it up in at laest a 1-gallon pot, fill the pot with siol, form a cone in the center at least 2/3 of the way to the top of the pot. Drap the roost over and around the "cone" and then fill in with additional soil. Do not cover the very top of the roots, at least not until new growth starts, then only about an inch of soil . Water it thoroughly and then not again until it is growing. Place in a warm spot with bright light and just see what happens.

Daylilies are pretty tough plants and you would be surprised by how little of a root system is needed to grow a new plant (as long as there is some "crown" there).

Good luck, and do let us know what comes of it.

Hemmaholic

Reply to
Hemmaholic

I can (on closer inspection) tell the top from the bottom. The tiny fiberous roots on the bottom didn't look much different than the tiny fiberous shreds of last year's stem at that top, though. Now that I think about it, though, I suppose it could also possibly be a dahlia root.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

Simplest thing to do is plant it and see what grows! It doesn't even come close to looking like a Dahlia root to me; I'm sticking with daylily or an odd Hosta (the two are closely related, whereas the Dahlia is from a totally different plant family).

Hemma

Reply to
Hemmaholic