Blue Coating On Cantaloupe Seeds

Last Sunday I started my garden seeds indoors. When I opened the pack of cantaloupe seeds, the first thing I noticed that they were a bright blue in color. Today (Wed.) they have already germinated and are over an inch tall. None of the other seeds (tomato and bell pepper) have germinated as of yet. Best I can figure is that the bright blue coating on the seeds had something to do with the rapid germination. Any ideas as to what these seeds may have been coated with?

Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN

Usually the seed packet will say that These seeds have been treated against specific plant diseases, do NOT feed to wildlife.

Brooklyn1

Probably a copper compound used for its fungicidal properties. Cucurbit seeds generally germinate quickly. Seeds of solanaceous plants tend to be slow to germinate.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Most likely an antifungal compound applied by the seed merchant which has nothing to do with germination.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott