Baking Soda KIlls Crabgrass?

Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Reply to
Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

Reply to
BiG_Orange

Checking it out now.

My question was: Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

I take it you have not!

Shepherd

Reply to
Shepherd

"BiG_Orange" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

okay, I just tried it. Not sure I used enough as the wind kept blowing it away, there was enough to leave visible white specks. It's going to rain repeatedly in the next five days. Also not 100% positive mine is crabgrass, but matches everyway that I checked. Crab grass is growing back from being weedwhacked, but I didn't sprinkle everything, so there is a control group.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

"BiG_Orange" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I wouldn't blame anyone for checking-in. It could be that the person in the other forum was off their nut, kidding or trolling.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Reply to
no spam

Just tell them your new "gardener" is a real pecker-head!

Val

Reply to
Valkyrie

Before trying it, I wonder if the baking soda hawould have any advwerse affect upon regular garden plants? It wouldn't seem to but... If it doesn't then I'll give it a shot in my garden. Shoot, worst it can do is not work so what am I out?

Reply to
John DeBoo

Report back in five days or you're fired. ;-)

Reply to
BiG_Orange

Well, so much for baking soda!

I applied baking soda on several clumps of crabgrass almost exactly 5 days ago and those clumps look as green and are as vigorous and healthy looking as they did before the treatment.

Shepherd

Reply to
Shepherd

Salty Thumb wrote in news:x_YRa.5641$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc04.gnilink.net:

In a poorly conducted experiment, a light dusting of sodium bicarbonate powder appears to have had no effect. Foliage in applied area appears similar to control group. Rain and substantial wind occured during the test period.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Seems like you all should mix the baking soda with water before putting it on the crabgrass so the plants can absorb it. Have you tried that?

Reply to
NewsUser

"NewsUser" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

That's probably a good idea. The original post said 'sprinkle', I assumed that meant dry. Anyway, I just thought I'd try it for grins, Need more info before I try again.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Yes, I mixed baking soda with water. Did not kill any crabgrass.

Also I hosed down the crabgrass before sprinkling on the dry baking soda.

Did not kill crabgrass, weeds or even the grass.

Shepherd

Reply to
Shepherd