Backyard Fence

Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see who comes by. Never can tell.

Reply to
Billy

Huh?

Reply to
Omelet

Hey neighbor!

This should give you pause to think about what we have been learnt and illustrate some other points about what we have possibly "learnt" in our lifetimes. This article may make your ribs much more enjoyable and make you wonder about all kinds of things.

' on the fence and enjoying the sunshine Chuckling Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hey Billy!

Don't lean too far over...my fence needs repairs! lol! ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

A beautiful day in the neighborhood, particularly back here by the garden fence, just off Allen's Alley, and we have our first visitor, a natural conversationalist, the loquacious Ms. Omelet.

How's your pots comin'? The highs in the San Antonio area seem to be jumpin' around a bit but it looks like you could start gardening any day now. Nice thing about pots is that they're portable. If'n you're gonna catch a frost, you can always pack 'em inside at night. Whatcha' plan on plantin' sides 'maters? If you got 'maters you gotta have basil. If'n you got 'maters and basil, all you need is a red onion and some mozzarella for a salad. Lettuce and cucumbers come in handy as well for salads. I prefer the lemon cucumbers, myself. Yuh can just pick what yuh need. A little parsley is always nice, too. I don't know anyone that uses a whole parsley "bunch" at a time. If'n you're gonna plant parsley, you may as well plant some tarragon, oregano, and thyme while your at it. Aw hell, your half way to a "potager" as the "Frogs" call it. May as well lay in some shallots, rosemary, and sage too. Try to keep them close to the kitchen.

Hope you got a lot of pots. This may be gettin' a little out of control.

I'm havin' a hard time coming up with "runner" peanuts. Any ideas? If it comes to you, I'll be back here, leanin' on the fence and trying to wear-in a sweet spot.

Reply to
Billy

Whoa. Rachael how are you? Last I heard, things were dry in NC and it doesn't sound like it got any better. How you doin'? What ever happened to your pasture. How's the hay business? How are the kids? How's your winter tan coming along?

Here, on the other coast, we've had a wet, but not exceptionally wet, winter so far. If we don't get anymore rain, it will be just sorta average.

You gonna be able to put in a garden this year or are you to busy raising your family to fight "Mother Nature"?

Reply to
Billy

Are you going to Scarborough fair.. Parsley Sage rosemary and time popped in head.

So did Johnny not Depp :))

or

Cheese yielded

Gorgonzola Cheesecake

Les Bourgeois Bistro Yield: 16 appetizer servings

1 1/2 cups water 1/2 cup cornmeal 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon dried basil 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (2 1/2 pounds) 4 eggs 1 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled 16 cloves garlic, peeled

Nonstick cooking spray Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in cornmeal, then add salt, basil and garlic.

Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan. Mold mixture into a 9 1/2- or 10-inch springform pan, forming a crust. Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, combine cream cheese, eggs and Gorgonzola; beat until smooth. Pour filling over crust, Place garlic cloves evenly around edge of cheesecake. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes; rotate pan and bake about 25 minutes more, or until filling is set. Let cheesecake cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To serve: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick spray.

Run a knife between the cheesecake and the sides of the springform ring. Remove springform ring. Cut cheesecake into 16 wedges, and arrange them on the sheet pan. Bake until cheesecake is warm in the center, about 8 minutes.

-- Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com. Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting. Please allow several days for your submission to appear. Archives:

Rest of post below no need to look at.

------------------------------

Xref: sn-us rec.food.recipes:89983 Path: sn-us!sn-feed-sjc-02!sn-xt-sjc-11!sn-xt-sjc-09!sn-xt-sjc-13!supernews.com !border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local02.nntp.dca.giganew s.com!nntp.swcp.com!news.swcp.com.POSTED!not-for-mail NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:09:26 -0600 Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes Followup-To: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.recipes Approved: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com From: "Judy Bolton" Subject: Gorgonzola Cheesecake Message-ID: Originator: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com (Patricia Hill) Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:09:26 -0600 Lines: 42 X-Usenet-Provider:

216.184.2.43 X-Trace: sv3-9zpQu6qReDgGMXVNOWtxLhqk+L2Npx8xyMX7SJLtO/msqgpUDcaUCnsm15rS6DsMRwjnw r/I3lX+qIX!F49FPuw46aLHwzazleJW/xjPFeTIjnQKjrqem7ZtiOyy4P+WX5oitWxf8ZjtBW TtiD+YJP/8SqE= X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com X-DMCA-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly X-Postfilter: 1.3.37

Reply to
Bill

We are good, we've had some thunderstorms and lots of rain in the last couple of weeks, but not nearly enough to put a dent in the drought levels.

What ever happened

When they saw that we wouldn't be run over, they offered to fix things back up after they finished fixing "their ditches" so that we could put our livestock back. We had moved all the horses & cows here to the house while everything was going on, so that we could be sure of their wellbeing. We took the DOT up on their offer, and they almost have everything completed. We have yet to decide whether or not we really want to put our livestock back there. My FIL wants it, so we are thinking of just renting it out to him.

How's the hay business?

Hay business is very slow right now. The drought sure did not do us any favors there. We won't get started up in hay this year until the end of April or so.

How are the kids?

The kids are doing great. They are currently "hiding" behind the rocking chair and playing farm. Go figure, huh? lol! Wyatt will be 3 on the 21st of this month. Breanna turned 1 in Jan. We did a BBQ for that of course, and yes, we had all the trimmings. I thought of you and Charlie when making the sauce!

How's your

What winter tan? We actually had some cold weather, but not much. I was really hoping for a bit of snow for the kids to play in some, but the only time we had flurries here, it was about mid-night and they were long fast asleep. The weather has been so wishy-washy with cold one day and warm the next, that it's wrecked havoc on allergies, so I've not really be out too much. Trying to keep the kids in so they will stay well. Only one visit to the doctor this winter so far, and I want to keep it that way.

Ha! I will put something in, just not sure of how much yet. Gotta have the staples...beans, peas, peppers, cukes, maters, okra, and zukes! Breanna is big enough that she can be out and about some when that time comes around. We will be moving, so I'm not sure yet how that will affect planting. We are in the process of buying a house & small farm (105 acres), but at least it's bigger than our current place!

Thinking I may have to do some raised bed techniques, and some 5-gallon buckets for the earlier crops. Any ideas or thoughts on that? I'm not sure if I want to follow my grandfather's ritual of planting on Good Friday this year or not. That's right around the corner and weather still isn't quite right. I've been bit by the planting bug though! Can't wait to get started!

Well, I smell a little stinker...Shew!

Catch ya later, watch that fence post there now. Gotta get round to replacing it! lol

~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Good but disturbing read. This information has been leaking out for awhile. Trouble is that I only have one guinea pig to play with, and I'd miss me if I was gone.

You gonna chuck in your statins? Having steak and eggs, and fried potatoes for breakfast, huh, are ya, kid?

Getting more mature and becoming more conservative (not necessarily politically) seems to go hand in hand.

Lordy, lordy, what's a feller to do? At least it makes me fell a little better about some of my nutritional indiscretions. Which, except for a little gas, are the only indiscretions in which I partake these days. But I remember back in the days of yesteryear when I'd . . . . Humm. I'd probably better give ol' alligator mouth a rest.

Sweet article tho. Basically, it says we got a problem, and we know how to make money off of the problem, but we don't know what the problem is or how to fix it (cholesterol ---> cardiovascular disease?, probably not)

Sounds like it is leading us back to Michael Pollan and his discussion on macro nutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins) and macro vitamins (A, B, C, D, etc.) and his musings over the elevated levels of flavonoids (and anthocyanins?) in organically grown food, and our present omega-6/omega-3 ratio of ten (10), where historically it was one (1). The omega-6/omega-3 ratio apparently can be fixed by eating more leaves and much less grain or eating more things that eat more leaves and much less grain. I'm still dragging my heels on grass feed beef because I'd have to buy a quarter and find cold storage for it. Mean time, I'm probably eating high omega-6 smoked turkey to excess.

Then they have to throw alcohol raising triglycerides, at me. I mean, I've given up rich foods, like my gorgonzola schnitzel, and fast women (my legs aren't what they used to be), now I have to give up the one companion that I thought could follow me into that dark night?

There otta be a law.

Reply to
Billy

Hay business can't be all that bad or is your husband workin' 24/7? A question always comes to mind for us west coast people, and that is, other than gumbo, how do you cook okra?

Sounds like you should be planting portables (pots and buckets and such). If the new house isn't to far away, maybe you could start preparing the ground there. You could give the present owner some token sum of money for rent so that it wouldn't be misconstrued as taking possession.

Wasn't me!

Reply to
Billy

A little parsley is always nice, too. I don't know anyone that

Ah, fair Scarborough.

No peanuts, goobers, or ground nuts there. Gurney has Virginia peanuts. Disease resistant and big.

Henery Field's got Improved Virginia (like the above) and Early Spanish Peanuts, which are prone to disease and small.

Runner peanuts are supposed to be the state of the art for peanut flavor but I can't find them anywhere. Even looked a big commercial site (farming) and couldn't find them.

Cultivars of Runners include 'Southeastern Runner 56-15', 'Dixie Runner', 'Early Runner', 'Virginia Bunch 67', 'Bradford Runner', 'Egyptian Giant' (also known as 'Virginia Bunch' and 'Giant'), 'Rhodesian Spanish Bunch' (Valencia and Virginia Bunch), 'North Carolina Runner 56-15', 'Georgia Green', 'Flavor Runner 458', 'Tamrun OL01', 'Tamrun OL02' and 'AT-108'.

You are dispicable. Probably would be excellent with port.

Reply to
Billy

But today is my 60 th birthday. Still despicable is better than crotchety. ;))

not for people ;((.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ha! It really was, only about $11,000 last year, that's total, before any taxes. And he's nearly working 24/7, put in 163 hours in the last two weeks, and it will be picking up more soon. He works outside of our business for a local big-time farmer, and that pays pretty good for around here. That farmer deals in everything, from row crops to hogs and turkeys. Got a good deal on the house and land as well.

Slice, batter, and fry, stir fry, boil, grill, steamed (baby okras)...

the pots and buckets was what I was thinking on. Be easier to tend to everyday and easy to move.

Are you sure about that?? lol! No, I'm surprised you didn't smell that one all the way over to where you are at...let's just say...it was very strong!

Reply to
rachael simpson

I wonder about these from Thailand.....

google "peanuts thailand"

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hey Bill, Just butting in to say, Happy Birthday! Hope you are having a great day, it sure sounds as if you are! ~Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Heh heh.

Charlie

Hey Girl! Good to hear from you. I caught the catch-ups from your replies to Mr. Billy. Sounds like things are going pretty well.

Shoot, you're BBQin' so I know its good there.

Glad the kids are well, though being cooped up inside all winter with 'em can be taxing, eh? We have all three grands here quite often and we old farts are kept *really* busy with them. Life is good!

Later, I'm sure. I have an okrie recipe to fling at Billy, so you can catch it there.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Actually it has been a great day. My dad 84 went for blood work and did some shopping after surgery last week. Bladder stone stuff. This by himself. Tough Marine. He stopped by today via car and he lives 150 yards from me.

Here we have a few plants that are starting to show Bloom. My plumber stopped by this Am and I can hold him off for a few months. My wife is buying me dinner and all my kids will be here Saturday .

ALSO MY DAD SAID I CAN STEAL HIS COMPOST PILE. 20X40X5

Heave I'm in Heaven.

Bill

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, I saw that. For the time bein' I'm huntin' 'Merican peanuts. Thanks for the search:-)

Reply to
Billy

Billy