Aphids on My Bushes

Any suggestions for getting rid of aphids? I would prefer a home made solution, but if it takes a harsh one from the hardware store, I'll try that. They are all over my gardinia and hibiscus bushes. Thanks in advance. Sandy

Reply to
Bellsouth

Wash 'em off with a good hard spray from your garden hose.

Reply to
Hank Snatch

Good day Sandy. I would suggest that you hose off the plants with a good blast from the garden hose making sure to hit the undersides of the leaves as much as possible. You will need to repeat this every few days for a few weeks or so untill they are gone for good. You may also choose to use safer insecticidal soap. This is rather benign stuff which is made of potassium salts. The patassium salt is sprayed on the soft body insects and the salt "sucks" the water out of their bodies. Brutal but effective. Pyrethrin is also another option that you may choose to use that isn't that bad to use. Pyrethrin comes from the pyrethrum flower, it's rather stinky but it works.

Good luck with the bugs.......

Reply to
Timothy

Don't blame the aphids. Its those damn lousy Bushes.

Vote for Kerry on November 2 and that will take care of that annoying Bush problem.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.

Just about everyone in Se MN has hordes of Asian lady beetles, I'm sure they would gladly send you a few thousand. You can also get lady bugs via mail order. They love to eat aphids.

Reply to
hawk

ladybugs. release them in the evening after you've sprayed them with a little water to provide moisture for them. releasing them in the evenings assures that they'll light on the plants and sleep, waking up to eat the aphids, lay eggs and their children, "Aphid Lion's" will be even more voracious! madgardener

Reply to
madgardener