Ant infestation of Gardenia - how to get rid of them

Thanks for the suggestion - never heard of Tero, but will try it out.

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr.

So, since when has "do no harm" fall under the rubric of screwball? When has presenting a MSDS become spittle flecked? Why do you add vituperations and ad hominen attacks to a discussion? Could it be that you have no logical argument to make? It's your characterization. It's your straw man. If you didn't have your head buried in your back-side, I'd say bite me, bitch. Just remember, you set the precedent, Skank.

Reply to
Billy

You may want to look at this article, excerpt below

indication of

Reply to
Billy

AAh, well, ants setting up house in a potted plant *can* cause problems, and not just by farming aphids, as I've found out this year.

Two identical (well, mirror-imaged) containers of flowers, planted at the same time, same treatment. The one with the ants suffered (wilting, yellowing, root damage). The one with no ants is fine.

I suspect that the original poster's problem likely did involve aphids, as he mentioned sooty black mold on the leaves. Driving off the ants would be useful, as they protect and distribute ('herd') aphids.

Spinosad is derived from a bacteria and is available in products certified for organic produce.

It is recommended for drenching for fire ant control and would probably work for other ants as well (though it wouldn't be useful against aphids or other sucking insects).

Green light makes a spray concentrate with Spinosad, as does Monterey Garden. (Do a Google product search for Spinosad and you will have your choice of online vendors.)

Locally, I'm able to buy a pre-mixed Spinosad product by Bonide named (sort of annoyingly) 'Captain Jacks Dead Bug Brew' which I've been using on my cabbages and kholrabi this year with good results (no sign of cabbage worms -- better results than Bt).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Ants can carry thrips which will destroy a gardenias leaves and blooms.Ants like the honeydew that aphids and thrips produce when eating the leaves. C ontrol the ants and the plant can survive. We used a Bayer product that was worked into the soil around the gardenias. I revived a full bed of gardeni as in Florida that had been neglected for years. We had flowers almost year round. Keep soil moist and wash off leaves if any white or black powdery m ildew appears. Gardenias like an acidic soil too.

Reply to
rlee7379

Once used a systemic on mine to get rid of scale. Would probably kill any bug trying to eat it.

Reply to
Frank

Is there something in the water lately? This is about the 4th response I've seen this week to an article posted in 2009.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

Drew Lawson wrote: ...

could just be spring has sprung...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

You are a rude and bitter dumb *uck!

Reply to
paigespassport

You are not helpful to anyone. Go back to your planet you alien witch.

Reply to
paigespassport

And because if the rudeness that are posted for a simple question is why the world has become the way it is today!!! Why can’t we just all show each other a little respect?

Reply to
TONY

That thread is 11 years old, and the rudeness you seem to be upset about was from 5 years ago. People are much more polite now.

Just kidding about that last part.

Reply to
Dan Espen