alternative to liriope

I would like to plant a low growing, evergreen border along the walkway to my house. I know that liriope would be the ideal plant but my husband hates it. I considered Mondo grass but I have a full sun location in zone 7 (Athens, GA). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
robv60

Mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus, black or green varieties) can do very very well in a sunny spot so long as it is watered regularly, which would've been true of liriope too, it'd get scruffy & brown in a sunny poorly watered spot despite that it doesn't need much water in a shady spot.

It is usually Liriope spicata that people dislike because of its fame for running rampant. Liriope muscari is more containable & comes in cultivars pale violet to dark blue-violet, plain-leaf &amp variegated leaf forms white & green, or yellow & green, so can really look splendid as a grassy flowery groundcover or border. It could be mixed with Muscari botryoides or Muscari armeniacum which have autumn & winter foliage & spring flowers, while the Liriope muscari is fully evergreen in zones 7 & 8. Or Liriope muscari in a sunny spot can have oriental hyacinths intermixed for extra spring excitement & sweet scents.

Acorus gramineus Sweet Flag is an aroid that looks like grass, commonly available in a yellow & green variegated form. It does fine in moist well drained soil in sun. It cna be very striking but tends to remain a clump; it's harder to get really good groundcover coverage with it because it grows in fans rather than spreading rhizomitously, & its inflourescence is trivial whereas mondo grass & lily turf have such nice flowers & berries.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Ophiopogon!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Thanks for the response! When would be the best time to plant?

Reply to
robv60