Ground cover for a paver walkway?

Hi folks -- I just put down some paving stones in my garden yesterday to make a pathway for ease of weeding, etc. I'd like to plant some very low-growing ground cover as a fill in between the stones to give it that old English garden path feel. I live in the Washington DC area, zone 7; the area in which I placed the stones gets full sun for a big part of the day from late summer to early fall, and very little full sun in spring and fall. Something with small flowers would be nice... any ideas for me? Thanks in advance! :)

Rhonda Alexandria, VA Zone 7

Reply to
Natty_Dread

How about creeping thyme? As you walk across the plant it will add a pleasant fragrance.

Reply to
MC

You probably know Sweet Alyssum (Lobularia maritima), an annual that reseeds profusely so you'll never be without it. It likes sunny dryish sites and grows for me even out of cracks along paved areas. There are many colors available, but the white seems to be the toughest and smells delicious. Blooms from May to hard frost, with an occasional haircut to deadhead and promote new growth. One seed packet will go a long way.....just press the seed into the soil, don't cover, keep moist until the seedlings are growing.

I would suggest that you go the seed route, rather than buy transplants.....much easier to get strongly growing plants in your intended location if you sow them in place (not to mention much less $$$).

Best, Tyra nNJ z7a

Reply to
Tyra Trevellyn

Wooly thyme is my choice. It can take a bit of foot traffic, as well. Another would be pennyroyal, but it is a bit harder to keep in bounds.

Reply to
escapee

In addition to the various low-napped thymes others have mentioned, I'd also suggest being patient, weeding, and seeing which mosses take up residence. I used a crushed granite stone dust as filler for my slate walkway, and after a few months various gorgeous mosses started creeping in, one in particular is called Bryum argentum, aka Kyoto Moss. I also planted Corsican Mint in a few places, and the combination is wonderful.

Dave Fairfax, VA

Reply to
David J Bockman

Go to google and do a search on creeping thyme. There are many different colors and scents to use. It is a low growing perennial that requires little to no maintenance and can be walked on without damage. I think you'll really like the flowers too. They are very tiny and old fashioned looking.

Good luck.

Reply to
Penny Morgan