Dwarf Alberta Spruce in full sun?

Hi all -- I have two dwarf alberta spruces in full sun areas, one a spiral topiary in a big container and the other a conical one planted in the ground in my front yard border bed. A couple of weeks ago, Adrian Higgins, the gardening editor for the Washington Post, said in one of his columns that alberta spruces planted in full sun run a high risk of infestation from some kind of mites (I can't remember what kind though). I'm wondering if anyone here has had that experience? I'm trying to figure out if I should move my albertas to a shadier spot to avoid damage to the trees.

Thanks,

Rhonda Richmond, VA USDA Zone 7

****************** Each of us, a cell of awareness imperfect and incomplete Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortune-hunt that's far too fleet
Reply to
Natty_Dread

\This article says that they can be victims of red spider mites..these mites are extremely common. The best contol is to hit the folliage everyday with a hard hose spray. They are very small and this is a non invasive control that works.

alice Weaverville, NC zone 6a

Reply to
alice

I have three. One is a spiral topiary. One was an existing tree that I pruned into a spiral. The third was an existing tree that I moved to a new location when it got too big. All are in the ground. Two are in full sun and one gets morning and filtered afternoon sun. They can get spider mites and as has been suggested, you can hose them down to control the mites. If you think yours are infested, hold a piece of white paper under the branches and gently shake the tree. The mites will show up as tiny red specks on the paper. I haven't had any problems yet. I believe that the issue of them being in full sun probably is because full sun assures that they stay nice and dry. The mites like a dry environment. Using the hose will fix that.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Sunset's Western Garden Book says: Spruces need full sun but do not tolerate heat or humidity.

Reply to
Travis

"alice" wrote in news:C25je.2174$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga:

My experience has been that Dwarf Alberta Spruce, being a native to mountainous high altitude areas with excellent drainage, can suffer in our humid, sweltering summers here in the Midatlantic Zone 7. If one can create a suitable climate (good ventilation, excellent drainage, frequent misting of foliage, acidic soil) then they do much better.

Reply to
David Bockman

I have seen Dwarf Alberta's get mites if they are planted too close to a house.

Reply to
Jack