African violet

I won this little plant at a luncheon at least two years ago. It's very healthy; has the right kind and amount of light, but has never blossomed since.

RX?

Thanks

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

If it hasn't been repotted, give a slightly larger pot using African Violet potting soil. Examine the plant for mealy bugs or other insects. Make sure it has drainage. Give it early morning sun or 2" from fluorescent grow lights. You should see it blooming profusely in a few weeks. Give it regular AF feedings.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can also remove a ring or two of outter leaves if it is very large. The blossums come with NEW leaf growth at the crown. The way to promote new growth is to remove old growth.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Thanks for detailed recommendations.

Brings up a number of questions:

  1. Why is early morning sun better than other exposures?

  1. What is "AF feedings"?

Thanks

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Morning sun won't burn AFs.

African Violet (AF) food. For example Schultz makes a plant food specifically formulated for AFs.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hurray! About 1-1/2 months ago, plant put out beautiful violets. It must have been the combination of early morning sun coming in the back French doors, plus I put in some plant spikes.

I just LOVE it when something comes back to life!

Thanks for all the help!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

More light on AFs usually does the trick in getting them to bloom. An east window is ideal. I use Shultz AF food, but mine did not bloom until I gave them morning sun. AFs bloom exceptionally well under fluorescent lighting.

Reply to
Phisherman