•• A question about Ivy

When I first posted this, I didn't indicate it was a question.

I have a bank of Ivy. It's the type everyone has in Southwestern Pennsylvania. It's showing the wear and tear of the winter as it does every spring. By August, it's pretty well re-established. Is there fertilizer, etc. that I can put on it so it starts to look better at the beginning of the summer?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Wish I had answer. I have same problem. Ivy close to house grows fine but away from house is sparse. I figure it is warmer and more shielded near house. Lately, I've been putting down pre-merge crabgrass fertilizer all over, including the ivy. This knocks out some of the grass that competes with it. Someone also said that deer eat ivy. I've never seen this but it could be part of problem. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

I did not think so either but it would have helped explain why it was tougher to get ivy to grow further from the house. I'm not sure my lawn fertilizer does any good. This is the third year trying. But, the pre-merge does keep the grassy weeds down. Also, I believe winter exposure is important and some shade best. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo