Re: Coco Hull Mulch

these are the same ninnies get their shorts all twisted over feeding grapes to dogs.

>Needless to say, there is absolutely no scientific evidence grapes are poisonous, all >they got are a few anecdotal incidents.

It is my understanding that there is scientific evidence sited in the literature that grapes can cause maybe a type of anemia (i'm not sure of the actual condition) in dogs. It is a cumulative effect. so, don't be so quick with your labels!

((.)) ')) (((((((( ))(/)((

Reply to
Judy Cosler

I'd never before heard that grapes might harm dogs & seriously doubted it could be true; at first blush it seems ridiculous, & I immediately thought it was a "transference" myth from the warnings not to give babies grapes which can lodge in the throat.

Yet a quick googling finds a lot of fairly credible stuff about dogs getting liver damage if they eat LOTS of grapes. Most of the web sources are "pop" rather than scientific & could easily be dismissed as the sort of web-spread-mythology one often sees in lieu of case studies & science, & googling for answers to medical topics is nowhere near the same as a Medline search or a trip to a Health Sciences Library, & googled medical advice of any kind is rightly taken with a grain of salt. But the assessment of the Animal Poison Control Center at least seems credible, with enough cases of renal failure in dogs who ate a shitload of grapes in the APCC database that it seems probably really to be toxic to dogs -- even though no toxin has as yet been identified.

Checking dates of the articles, in 2002 the APCC was still saying the evidence was not in on the harmfulness of grapes despite that belief in their harmfulness was already widespread. But their latest bulletin dated

2004 seems relatively certain the case studies are adequate to issue a warning.

Surprises me, but I haven't had a dog for a long while, so not keeping abreast of doggy things. Been visiting the pound a lot as a volunteer dog-walker though, & would've come home with one by now if they weren't all such large dogs. It's so sad that so many of these huge intelligent dogs lose their homes, but only the occasional small to medium-sized dog is instantly placeable with a new home. Sad, sad, sad-eyed dogs locked in their cages all day, day in & day out, & by no means certain to eventually have a good life. If the heart can stand it, everyone should volunteer a least a day out of each month to go dog-walking, the dogs' overt appreciation level is overwhelming.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I looked, I could find NO scientific evidence that shows what it is in grapes that could be toxic. What literature are you talking about? we had dogs used to graze thu our grape arbors .... grapes on demand without harm. now there could be an immunological problem with some dogs. and immune complexes can damage the kidneys (glomerularnephritis). but giving dogs a couple grapes as treats and for the vitamins is not going to harm them.

same with cocoa mulch. most dogs w>On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:43:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote: >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo