How close can arbor vitae be planted to a chain link fence? Can they have their branches touching it, or even extending through it?

We have a chain-link fence that runs parallel to our property line, 2-3 feet on our side of the line. We would like to plant a privacy hedge on the other side of the fence, on our property. Our neighbor there is OK with having the branches cross over the line. We're thinking of Brandon arbor vitae. They'd need to be pretty snug to the fence. Will this work?

Reply to
Jim

It isn't gonna bother the arbor vitae...it will grow where it can.  Whether it ultimately dislodges the chain-link is another issue: it could potentially bow the fencing between supports, again unlikely.

Reply to
Momsy2

I would make sure that you have a decent distance from your fence to your trees. Any tree's roots will become invasive when they are too close. This is especially true for weeping willows.

darcywebb4545