Arbor Vitae

What are the characteristics of arbor vitae wood wrt turning or small projects?

We have 4 very tall ones that are blocking the growth of some pines in our landscape. They are each over 30 feet tall and measure almost 15" in diameter at the base. I'm going to take them down and if the wood is of any value, put it in the shed to dry, otherwise, just make coarse mulch with it.

Has anuone done any projects with this wood?

Reply to
John Carter

Arborvitae (the plant) is one word.

The two word version (Arbor Vitae) is the part of the brain that brings sensory and motor information to and from the cerebellum.

I can't speak to the turning part of your question, but as far as using Arborvitae as mulch, here's some talk about letting it (specifically the needles) age for a season before you use it. It doesn't mention the wood itself, so that might be OK right away.

DerbyDad03

Read this thread first. It seems that several different species of trees go under that name and they are not all similar:

John McGaw