Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cucumbers
Is the temperature range I am having in the greenhouse causing the leaves to curl? MJ
6
6

Nature that Nurtures
Scientific American, March 12, 2012 p. 24 Nature that Nurtures Dismissed as peripheral to medical treatment for much of the 20th century, gardens are back in style, now featured in the de- sign of...
3
3

Yesterday ..
Since the frost free date here is supposedly around 4/15 , I started a few things . Tomatoes , peppers , pumpkins , and some marigolds for now . In a couple of weeks I'll be planting some acorn squash...

Peppers
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False? MJ
36
36

Progress
Over the last couple of days I have transplanted 321 seedlings and planted 36 tomato seeds. I planted 66 beet seeds and 64 germinated with 140 plants. The other plants are Granex onions, Red Burgundy...
2
2

a small study of rotting
towards the end of December i had bags of left over soybean husks to use eventually in the worm bins. not wanting to pass up a good chance of comparing processes i took some worm castings (about a dry...
16
16

Gojo and Honeyberries
I bought these bushes as young plants have planted them both in containers but have never had any fruit from them. Is there anything I need to do for them to start fruiting?
3
3

?? Grasshopper Control
Nosema locustae. Anyone have experience with them?
28
28

good green pole bean?
What's a good open-pollinated green pole bean? I tried Kentucky Wonder but the beans were stringy.
4
4

Low protein vegetables.
My doctor is suggesting low protein vegetables for a while. I have Gout . Which I have been trying to address over a few years with diet. Instead of meds. Like Allupurinol and Colchicines. I've been...
15
15

Questions a Novice with Limited Experience
I live in Ellicott City, Maryalnd and is in Hardiness Zone 6b. In the Algonquian language of the indigenous Native American Indian tribes, Ellicott City means "Hard clay soil filled with rocks". ;) In...
2
2

It's about time ...
For me to get started with the plants I want to set out at the end of March . Last year and the year before I tried those peat disc things (wet 'em and they expand into a little barrel shape) with...
16
16

Celantro
Does anyone have history with this? I just read it is the hardest herb to grow. I got some free seeds so I am trying it but it hasn't germinated yet. MJ
5
5

New USDA Hardiness Maps
Due to warming trends a new map has been issued to replace the most recent one (from 1990 I believe). My home, in NC on the SC border, went from 7B to 8a. Here is a link to the main page. Once there...
7
7

compost and eggshells
I compost most kitchen scraps except for dairy, meat and fats. For a long time I would include eggshells. I would try to break the shells into smaller pieces either in the kitchen or once in the...
3
3