Xmas dinner

So, what will you be eating that you grew?

I'll be going down to the allotment Saturday morning and dig up parsnips and leeks, and pick sprouts and curly kale.

Plus beans (broad and runner), spuds and carrots already harvested.

No livestock allowed on our plots or I'd have grown a turkey :-))

Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are about food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on Channel 5 (UK).

Happy Christmas everybody.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

What a coincidence! Ray was just saying at lunch that Geoff Hamilton and his brother used to have a competition each year. The competition was to see how many veg they could cook for Christmas lunch that they had grown themselves. Ray doesn't recall who the winner was but thinks the final number (including home grown and frozen) was 14. ;-)

Reply to
Sacha

Xmas dinner is Chinese this year. But the day before or the day after we'll have lettuces and snowpeas in a salad. Broccoli, steamed and finished with sliced garlic in olive oil. Maybe beet greens or beetroots or both, maybe not, haven't decided. -aem

Reply to
aem

Only sprouts for me this year, maybe an onion in the stuffing too, everything else will be shop bought, but those sprouts will taste extra special to me as they're one of the first crops of anything I've had worth eating.

Woohoo! I always enjoy those, although ISTR them being on C4?

You too.

Reply to
Phil L

Does homegrown pork count?

John!

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Of course! from experience I can honestly say that it is much better than the supermarket stuff.

Reply to
Phil L

I suppose. But you would have to start with a smart pig and train it a lot.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Salmon Egg wrote in of Wed,

21 Dec 2005 01:27:19 GMT:

Good one Bill.

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

They were! Channel 4 being a regional transmitter you then had to search the small print to find out when they were on S4C about a week later. Now they have moved to another channel which does NOT have national coverage ( and never intends to ) so I shan't be able to watch them at all - boo hiss grumble grumble. T.

Reply to
tahiri

Nothing's growing here in southern Idaho except for a little bit of cilantro under two inches of snow. But we'll have squash soup for dinner and sugar snap peas to go with the roast chicken. We might have enough lettuce growing in the washbasin on the porch for a salad. And there will be strawberries that we put up last June for Christmas morning.

Reply to
Kathy

It is bloody annoying isn't it? I long for the days when it was on the Beeb.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat