tomato advice true?

I found this on a site searching for advice on my plants. is it true? Des tomates saines et sans pucerons... Contre les maladies et les pucerons, je plante des pieds d'oeillets dinde entre chaque pied de tomates, c'est =E9fficace, =E9cologique en plus ... c'est joli ;-)

And this? Engrais fruit=E9 Pour un engrais =E9cologique et pas cher pour vos rosiers il suffit d'enterrer une peau de banane =E0 leur pieds. Celle ci contenant du potassium et autre vitamines les nourriront aussi bien qu'un engrais chimique!=20

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Reply to
birdieb

These are old time practices that I've seen written about for years. I've tried them before but whether or not they really made a difference is questionable so I just use the modern way of fertilizer and insecticides-----I know they work.

Reply to
Bill B

I'm sorry, the translation software made this out to be the feet of some sort of poultry. I've never heard of that.

For tomatoes, I I recommend alfalfa (as is used in animal feed) and kelp (the seaweed). Bone meal or phosphate rock might also be needed.

J'emploie "Babel Fish"-- "Pour des tomates, je recommande la luzerne (comme est employé chez l'alimentation des animaux) et varech (l'algue). Le phosphate naturel de repas ou d'os pourrait également être nécessaire."

Banana peels? Yes.

Alfalfa is also good for the roses. "La luzerne est bonne pour les rosiers, aussi."

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

What is planted between the tomatoes? Babelfish translates it as "eyelets turkey." Would it happen to be another common name for marigolds?

Reply to
Kathy

I was trying to figure out where you would actually get Turkey eyelets, and even what they were? hehe

John Patrick

Bird Oasis

Well, the turkeys going to be really ticked when their boots keep falling off in the snow!

Gary Woods

They are "French Marigolds".

Reply to
Bill B

I am sorry to have posted in French. Here is what Google comes up with on an image search for oeillets d'inde

French is not so good for flowers and I was hoping someone would identify it.

Reply to
GH

Most of the pictures seem to be /Tagetes patula/ which has the English common name 'French Marigold. ' This flower is native to Mexico and Guatamala, despite what the English and French names suggest.

/Tagetes/ are supposed to repel nematode worms but this is most effectively done by planting them in masses and tilling them in the year before the tomatoes are planted.

North Carolina Department of Agriculture:

"The roots of these attractive flowering plants contain chemicals that kill nematodes. As a method of biocontrol, growing marigolds is not only pleasing to the eye but economically and environmentally sound as well. One drawback, however, is that the benefits are not realized until the following year. Also, the treatment frequently needs to be repeated with marigolds and vegetables grown in alternate years."

Applying a mulch around the tomato plants will help prevent weeds and disease.

Tomato plants are more likely to attract aphids if they are given too much nitrogen fertilizer.

Kelp spray will help prevent diseases of the tomato leaves.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thank you everyone for your help! I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Reply to
GH