Winter planting

Some background, I am in the southern hemisphere in an area that has winter frost but not snow so some veges grow well right through winter.

Most of my winter veges (brassicas, lettuce, etc) are doing well in their seed trays and will go out in the next week or so weather permitting. For the direct-sown types I got garlic, peas and broad beans in a couple of weeks ago. We have had some nice rain and it has been warm to mild so they are doing well.

I also had a brainwave, I put net over the ground to stop various diggers from ruining my seeds and seedlings. Worked just fine. Except the broad beans have grown through the net where it hangs down in several places and now I have to tease them back out of it.

David

PS The pups (some of the diggers) have now doubled their weight since we got them. I did not think that I would volunteer again for having toddlers around unless I could hand them back to mum but somehow that's how it is. They are into everything, so full of life and energy and fun, joyfully destroying without malice. New pics are available for those who care.

David Hare-Scott

I do know where I read this, but I think the best selling T- shirt had the phrase "My grandkids have fur". A statement about our society for better or worse. So congratulations on your kids and the pups :)

Summer is coming soon, it got into the seventies for the first time this year... Yeah!

Reply to
Nad R

I've got to do that with all the netting on our trees.

muts.

Reply to
FarmI

Are they full blood Kelpies? Too cute! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Oh, on topic - planted catnip, sunflowers, zinnias, some old cornflower seed, larkspur, lima beans, marigolds and wrangled with bermuda grass yesterday and today and it's been raining hard this afternoon - I love the sound of rain, especially after planting. (The dog however needs sedation during storms.)

Kate

Reply to
kate

>>> D

They are said to be but we have some doubt about Leila, her fluffy fur and white markings are atypical but not impossible for kelpies. Flynn is the real deal.

David Hare-Scott

Do you have any cattle other than Mootilda for them to stalk and round up David? Speaking of Mootilda, how are you all getting along?

Reply to
FarmI

No, they practice on chooks and horses which is not really desireable, chooks get nervous when they get The Stare. Flynn got concussed by a horse last week so he is being more circumspect. I no longer have the type of neighbours who would let them practice on their cattle and I don't know enough about it to train them for such work just to be good companion/guard dogs.

Mootilda is doing fine she gets a little lonely if she can't talk to the cattle over the fence. The last dairy bull in the district is gone - sold up and moved away and I don't have the brass right now to build yards with a crush so we can try AI, so the milking project is on hold for now. But overall she is healthy and happy enough.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

LOL. I can see that chooklike nervousness now. My chooks don't like eye contact for some reason even if I'm bringing them a tin of nice mixed grain as a treat.

Flynn got concussed by a horse

That'a valuable lesson worth having is you ask me.

I no longer have the type of

It's a wonder she hasn't gone over a fence or three when she's bulling. Our girls are right trollops if there's no bull in their paddock when they decide they want one.

Reply to
FarmI