Winter in a warm climate

Winter here is not very cold by Nth American and European standards. The frosty shots in this collection are about as cold as it gets, that is about -4C air temperature, probably -7C on the ground.

citrus are still on the trees which are doing fine, they are only frost tender under these conditions when young.

For those who have read me going on about medlar jelly here is why I say the colour is pretty.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

-4C is +24F, which is colder than anything I have seen in more than five years.

Where are you?

Reply to
David E. Ross

I think he's in OZ, and even there, the coastal climates should be warmer, I'd have thought?... David?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

South-Eastern Australia would be my guess given the onset of cold(ish) weather a photo of an Eastern Rosella and the posting time offset on the anonymous free German(?) news server. Of course the bird might have been in a zoo or been a vacation snap and the time offset could be faked but I'm guessing not. If the weather is really even a degree below freezing I'd be betting on New South Wales or Victoria but, given the population distribution in Oz, they would be the odds-on favorites anyway. Tasmania is always a slight possibility. (Wonder if David knows Richard Raffan?) Inland somewhere away from the tempering effect of the ocean seems reasonable. Could it even be Canberra? Could be, but keeping chickens in Canberra seems wrong somehow but, again, the picture could be misleading.

I'll go with New South Wales or Victoria. OK David, how did I do?

Reply to
John McGaw

North of Newcastle Australia, in a little frost pocket. Summer max temps are usually around 32C but can hit 44 and winter min usually about 6 but can hit -4. With the El Nino - La Nina swings giving no rain for months or

300mm in a week it's a challenge. D
Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I am inland enought to lose most of the ocean's moderating effect. It does get warm alright.

David Hare-Scott

There are only a handful of shots in all the albums that were not taken on my property. The birds in the winter album are locals, as is the eagle in another. Albasani is Italian and free and I recommend it for those who want to use a newsreader.

If the weather is really even a degree

No, any inland area in the southern half of the continent fits that.

The climate here is not unlike Canberra but I am not as high so the coldest time only lasts a few hours instead of days and it generally warms up through the day. There is no reason why you couldn't keep chooks in Canberra.

You done good but got lucky with the temperature as it is not diagnostic. I am north of Newcastle NSW.

As I detailed to DER gardening can be a challenge here.

David Hare-Scott

On 7/21/12 5:44 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote [in part]:

I regret to inform you that Alexander Bartolich -- the owner and operator of the Albasani newsgroup server -- died suddenly early this month. No one is sure at this time, how long his servers will continue to operate. Besides the Albasani server, Bartolich's servers handled moderation for several newsgroups and some Web sites.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Well I certainly know who he is. I did lessons with David Upfill Borwn before he went to teach in Maine.

'm stunned at teh interviewer needing to 'get a handle' on David's accent. The interviewer must have been deaf, stupid or parochial.

Inland

Off target but not too bad. I get -9C mornings sometimes :-))

Reply to
Farm1

I know people in Canberra who've kept and still do keep chooks - in fact decades ago when we lived in Canberra we had chooks and ducks. No roosters are allowed but certainly no problems with keeping chooks or ducks.

Reply to
Farm1