Why?

I have a healthy crop of strawberries that are flowering but are no

producing fruit. Their are plenty of bees for pollination and w have had a good rain season. What is wrong

-- Barzene

Reply to
Barzene

Several years ago, I ordered some giant strawberries from a magazine. I don't remember their name. I ordered enough to plant two 150ft rows. They made the largest most beautiful plants, bloomed profusely , and never set not 1 berry.

I called our county extension agent, and it was his opinion that the berries were just not adapted to this area.

Since that time I have become more knowledgeable about strawberries(but still not an expert). There are some hybrid varieties that require a polinator (another variety) they are not self fruitful.

Understand, this is just an opinion, but I think had I planted another variety along side of them, instead of pulling them up, they would have produced berries the next year.

I haven't had that problem since. I now have 5 varieties, with that problem never occurring again, I would like to know what variety you planted, and what zone you are in?

Have a nice day, The Old Timer

Reply to
Old Timer!

As to the variety, they are Quinalt. As to the zone, it is 2B. I live at an elevation of 7,000ft. and experience the four seasons. Winters can see temperature as low as +10 F. I do cover th strawberries with straw every fall. This climate zone is known a "High Desert". We do have a variety of cactus that grow up here. Thank you for your reply. Barzene..

-- Barzene

Reply to
Barzene

We used to live in Arkansas and I watched the "Expert Gardener" on TV every Wednesday at 5:15 PM. When ever someone ask why flowers wouldn't bloom or fruit wouldn't produce, he told us to add a super phosphate to the soil. That is one that is labeled 0 - 56- 0, or some other product that has a high middle number. Now we live in Kansas and I am told that our soil has plenty of phosphate. I would have my soil tested or talk to your extension office and find out about your soil. Add what ever they recommend.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Hi Barzene, Please DISREGARD what I said about self fruitful, for Quinalt are. I have two patches of them. My second choice of all berries for home use(not a good shipper) but oh! what a flavor for a large berry.

Regards, The Old Timer.

Reply to
Rogerx

Thank you for your advice. I will have my soil tested and ad the necessary amendments . I will post the results of my effort and your advice after my next harvest. Thanks... Barzen

-- Barzene

Reply to
Barzene