When to pick Summer Squash ?

I usually pick when they are about the length of my hand, but a couple of inches smaller or larger matter much. You will soon get the hang of it. Hope you like them as much as we do. I like them steamed with lots of onion and a little bell pepper, but my husband likes them fried or boiled with some onion, then drained and some cheese added. If over cooked they get soft or mushy.

Reply to
Alana Gibson

I usually grow WInter squash like Butternut or Acorn but this year I ended up with some yellow crookneck and they are really loaded. The problem is that I have no idea when I should be picking these. Anyone? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

Pick 'em early and often. Don't let any get longer than 6". -aem

Reply to
aem

Ok, I'm too late. What happens when they get too big? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

The skins and seeds get tough -- but you can still shred them and use to make zucchini bread, etc, or use the shreds in a stir-fry.

Try this recipe. (and I think it would work OK with all all-purpose flour instead of half whole-wheat) It's really good served warm without any frosting:

_Bob's Zucchini Cake_

1 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup all purpose flour 2 cups sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp. ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini

1 cup oil 4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13" pan and bake in 325º oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.

Reply to
zxcvbob

I steamed one that was 8+ inches (weighed a little over a pound) and I'm not impressed. Seemed rather tasteless like a Zucchini. Is that normal? These are smooth skinned yellow crooknecks. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

Try picking a small one, about 5 inches, and slice it and taste it raw.

When they get big they are just like zucchini, except for the color.

When they get humongous, they are probably worse than a similarly giant zucchini.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Well, I don't know. I still don't taste much. Maybe the smooth-skinned ones have less taste? They are pretty but that is about all I can say for them.

Reply to
Dave

When they get big, you have to change the way you cook them. Instead of just lightly steaming them, saute a small onion in bacon fat in the bottom of a pot, then when that is done add a lot of sliced squash on top of that along with a teaspoon of brown sugar, some salt, and water to cover. Cook for at least two hours over slow heat and the mass will reduce to maybe half the volume. You can serve it as is, or with butter or substitute, or little drops of brown sugar, or bake into a breadcrumb cassarole. You can also batter fry the coins, but most people don't want that much fat.

Reply to
Harry Chickpea

One good rule of thumb is to pick them before they b/come greater than 2" in diameter.

Reply to
TQ

Oh boy. Well, tomorrow I'll find a tiny one and see if it has any taste. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

Summer squash, whether yellow or green, is bland. At a minimum, you should add onions and sautee or put chunks on a shish-kabob skewer along with onions, tomats, peppers, and jumbo Gulf of Mexico shrimp.

Reply to
TQ

My wife make a dish similar to eggplant parmesan but wit cousa which is a sweet summer squash

Reply to
Netter