When to pick Galeux d'Eysines squash?

I planted a couple Galeux d'Eysines squash seeds this year on a lark. It wa s on May 15th, the last frost date in Denver. Now I have four fruits that l ook like they're 10-15 pounds each. One of them has a lot of warts and the rest are developing them. How do I know when to pick these? How well do the y keep, and do they need to be aged. Never thought I'd actually get anythin g so I haven't planned for this.

Thanks, red

Reply to
reed.loefgren

I've no personal experience, but Territorial Seeds gives some detail.

Sounds like you are going to be one happy gardener.

Boron Elgar

was on May 15th, the last frost date in Denver. Now I have four fruits that look like they're 10-15 pounds each. One of them has a lot of warts and th e rest are developing them. How do I know when to pick these? How well do t hey keep, and do they need to be aged. Never thought I'd actually get anyth ing so I haven't planned for this.

Leave them on the vine until it begins dieing. Wash the squash with a mild bleach solution and store in a cool cellar. They should keep most of the wi nter.

Reply to
Steve Peek

was on May 15th, the last frost date in Denver. Now I have four fruits that look like they're 10-15 pounds each. One of them has a lot of warts and th e rest are developing them. How do I know when to pick these? How well do t hey keep, and do they need to be aged. Never thought I'd actually get anyth ing so I haven't planned for this.

The info I've read says 90 days. Although the more sugar developed by the p umpkin, the more warts. I'm in the same situation, and I'm waiting a bit.

Reply to
austingamemaster5

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

no idea of that particular winter squash, but i think the general rule of thumb is to pick them when the stem going to the squash starts to dry out.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I grew these this summer, very prolific and excellent eating.

I will grow them again. Barny the crop guard cat:

Brooklyn1