What is eating holes in my tomatoes?

Something is eating holes in my tomatoes. The tomatoes are not touching the ground. Here is a picture of two tomatoes with holes in them:

is eating these holes and what can I do about it? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Hornworm

TQ

I'm thinking grasshoppers. The holes in my tomatoes look much the same. But not knowing where you are it's just a guess. The grasshoppers here in Texas are voracious.

Reply to
Thomas

That's my thought, too. (I've got more grasshoppers than usual this year. More rabbits, too. Probably the weather last fall and winter.)

Hornworms usually devastate the leaves in a pretty noticable way in addition to munching on the fruit.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

It could be grasshoppers, Tomato Hornworm or slugs. I use tha diometreus(excuse spelling) earth stuff on mine. It is a natura product and non toxic to humans and animals but gets rid of the bugs

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

Diatomaceous earth comes from diatoms which are various microscopic one-celled or colonial algae of the class Bacillariophyceae, having cell walls of silica. To a bug, it is like spreading broken glass all over the place. Probably not good for your lungs, so try not to inhale it.

Reply to
William L. Rose

snip-snip

I see field mice eating mine, :-(,,, after a few lbs of poisen bait, and limited results, I would much rather use this method, think it will deter the mice ? As I recall it's avail at pool supply stores ? TIA,,,, ed in Sacramento Ca.

Reply to
ed

Cayenne pepper mixed with water - couple heaping tablespoons per gallon and sprinkled on plants will stop rabbits and squirrels from munching - won't harm plants. Don't know abut mice. A few of my tomatoes have been attacked from the bottom by some kind of worm - must be the hornworm - I put any infected tomato into the plastic gargabe can - hopefully to control the spread.

Will Sevin work on hormworms?

Reply to
butch burton

I sure will try that mixture, will start with the ripening fruit 1st! This could be a win win for us and the soil, kewl, I'll post results in few days. thanks, ed

Reply to
ed