Transplanting Problem

In light of the beautiful weather (sunny, 60F/16C day, 30F/-1C night) and a good soil temp (61F/16C) I figured I would set out some transplants of the cooler weather veggies this weekend.

I started lettuce and broccoli indoors a few weeks ago and they were doing great. Last Wednesday they showed their second set of leaves so I gave them a drink of 20-20-20 fertilizer and started setting them outside for a few hours every day to harden them off a bit.

They were in 1x2x2 plastic cells. I transplanted them in to the garden on Saturday morning by digging a nice hole, watering the hole and pushing the bottom of the cells up and carefully picking up the seedlings and placing them in to the soil.

By Sunday night all of the seedlings appeared to have died (ie fallen over, wilted).

I thought I was doing everything "by the book". Is there something in my method that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Reply to
Friar Donk

No. Just intervals of 4-8 hours.

We got several days of full sun last week, and I set them out for several hours in that.

Yes. 15ml per 1L of water as per directions (specifically

It got nippy (-2C/28F).

Maybe I didn't harden them off enough. I have some tomato and pepper plants to harden off and plant at the end of May. I have a double batch of seedlings on the go in case my method isn't perfected and I need another set. I'll be sure to set them out longer/more days before hitting the ground.

Thanks.

Reply to
Friar Donk

Peppers seedlings can be set out the average night temperature is 55°F and the soil temperature has reached 60°F or above; however, the best soil temperature range is from 70°F to 80°F.

For tomatoes, the best soil temperature for growing is 70°F to 80°F. Best air temperature for growing -- Day 65 to 85F, night 60 to 70F.

Reply to
The Cook