Work, Work, Work

I didn't realize how much work it is to put in a small 5'x8' garden! The hardest part was stripping the sod and turning the big, heavy chunks of clay soil with a shovel. Quite a few big rocks came out of that small patch of ground! I added some sand and 5 big bags of nice, dark soil. The pitch fork really came in handy for breaking down the chunks and mixing the soil. I was able to work the soil to a depth of about a foot or more. Today I busted up more chunks and turned the soil again. The last step was to rake the soil nice and level. I think it looks pretty good. The wind is kicking up here in Ohio and it looks like rain is on the way. I'll rake the surface a few more times during the week and I'm thinking of putting seed (carrots & green beans) in the ground next weekend if the weather permits.

The satifaction one feels after working even such a small piece of land is wonderful. I can't wait to plant!

Reply to
Hud

Don't forget to add some peat...helps immensely with water retention. Also a hand full of bone meal and some well rotted manure. I add the 3 components to my beds every year. Oh...and some compost as well if you can get it. Ideally, you want the soil to clump like a snowball in your hand, keep its shape for a few seconds and slowly fall apart.

The good thing is that once you get all this initial work done, that's it. Of course, if you're like me, every year you just want to expand. I've got ten acres of forest and blueberries to work with, so this year I'm moving three beds and adding one more (all in the one location now), but that should be it. I don't think I can physically take care of the any more.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's iced in Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Yup. Carrots don't mind it. I usually put mine in late April, early May. They can take up to three weeks to germinate, but go mad after that. They can also be left in the ground until the snow flys.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I suppose I can hold off on the beans until the end of May. Also I should add that I made a little mistake. My garden is actuall 7'x8' (not 5'x8'). I suppose that makes little difference. Lol Thanks for the tip, Susan.

Reply to
Hud

Bean seeds do not like cold soil. They just sit there. Carrots should be ok.

Reply to
The Cook

Be prepared to deal with rabbits and deer!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Thankfully, deer won't be a problem (6' high privacy fence). However I'm thinking about buying either a chicken wire fence or rabbit fencing to deal with rabbits. I just worry about them digging to go under it. Has anyone here used the rabbit fencing? How'd it work?

Reply to
Hud

"Hud" expounded:

Deer will laugh at a 6' fence.

Reply to
Ann

We use the cheap plastic rabbit fence and inexpensive fence poles. So far it works. No rabbits have dug under. The bottom is buried only a few inches under the soil.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Great, we need more laughter in the world.

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

A privacy fence, though. I was under the impression they were reluctuant to jump over a fence where they weren't sure of the other side. I know they can go over 6 or more feet of wire fence.

As for rabbits, a rabbit fence is pretty good protection. I inch hex mesh (chicken wire) at least 18" sticking up and 6" bent out (or buried) set along the bottom of any other type of fence works, too.

Groundhogs are a whole different story.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Well if deer can jump a 6-foot high privacy fence then I guess it'll be buffet time for them. lol

Reply to
Hud

Yeah, Pat. I've heard that you can bend the bottom of the fence out like that. I'll definitely do that.

Reply to
Hud

His beans will do well with the manure; for the carrots it could be their ruination. Always grow another crop before carrots in newly manured ground, or the carrots are likely to develop multiple forks and almost no body.

Reply to
John Savage

I've always added a little well-rotted composted manure to my beds before planting. I've yet to have problems with any of my root crops. I think the problem of forked carrots comes from fresh manure. I've never had a problem with the bagged composted manure.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Yeah, I remember putting in 2 4'x8' gardens when we lived near Cincinnati...the clay was sooooooo heavy.

Not as bad here in northern Illinois. I have a big garden now, and I use a little Mantis tiller to get it all done.

Reply to
Mitch

And they might look like this.

jellybean stonerfish

> stonerfish

Now that's funny!!! :o)

Reply to
Hud

I've never quite understood why adolescent humor is called "adult humor". I think it is inappropriate but I am from an older generation before Bevis and Butthead. At least title your suggestions with something like "full frontal anthropomorphic carrots". I find plenty of reasons to roll my eyes already. I don't need more. Chaq'un à son goût, they say. Now I find

funny. But I digress.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

Where did you FIND that!!! Hysterical. I lived in Italy nearly a decade, (censored] years ago. Cartoon would have been typical of much Italian conduct at that time...but do I gather that not much has changed? Haven't been back for [censored] years.

De mon temps, the men went to church to pinch the womens' behinds. Every traffic fender-bender was an Opera!...

Ah, memory lane...

Persephone

Reply to
aspasia