Calories

Does anyone know how the number of calories in a food or drink is arrived at. How is the measurement made.

Reply to
Andy Petro

4 Cal (kcal) / gram of carbohydrate (sugar, starch, or protein) and 9 Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat. One Calorie can raise the temperature of one gram (1 cubic milliliter) of water one degree Centigrade. Cool, huh?
Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Reply to
William Rose

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I shouldn't stay up past my bedtime. OK? Let me clean up my mess.

There are 4 Calories (kcal, a thousand calories) / gram of carbohydrate (sugar, starch) or protein and 9 Cal (kcal)/ gram of oil or fat.

One calorie (with a small "c") can raise the temperature of one gram (1 cubic centimetr = 1 milliliter) of water (at standard temperature and pressure) one degree centigrade.

Cool, huh?

I work better with a blackboard. Hmmm. These days I guess you would call it a white board.

This is what I call the tar baby syndrome. The more you mess with it, the worse it gets. I wonder if it's too late to go back to bed?

- Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Bill Rose