Waiting for warmer weather

Today I started 160 tomato seeds. I have them inside to germinate since I don't feel like keeping the heat high enough in the greenhouse for germination. Right now I have over 400 seedlings in the greenhouse waiting for slightly warmer weather. I have onions, cabbage, broccoli, broccoli rabe, beets, chard and rhubarb. There are also a few lettuce seedlings. I have had very poor germination with lettuce except for my red romaine.

My next project is to plan the garden layout. And then do a second till to try to get the soil usable for beets. Then I will plant some peas and lentils.

Anyone else have anything going on now?

Reply to
The Cook

I've been buying seeds like mad, now I get to plant them all...I have probably 20 (peat or mini plastic ones)pots in my room right now, and I've started preparing where I will plant roses, and today I've got to start some flowers, herbs, ground cherries, garlic, onion, and um...forget what else...I've also got to build a raised bed frame for peas/beans.

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

My tomato and pepper seedlings are almost big enough to go outside now! (I live in zone 8 or 9.) I've planted lettuce, spinach, onions, and carrots outside. The cutest thing is that this winter I changed the placement of my raised beds, adding permanent wood boxes over where the old beds used to be, and the other day I discovered a crooked row of garlic I had planted and missed last year, now growing in one of the pathways between boxes! It's getting walked on, but it still looks pretty good.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

I have 2 dozen tomato, pepper and eggplants started in my greenhouse. They'er up and growing well. I keep the seed flats in the warm sunroom until germination is almost complete, then move them to the heated GH. Most veggies are planted right in the ground here in middle TN. I can most and freeze some.

Reply to
Hedda Lettis

Scratch getting the ground prepared. It has rained for 3 days. But since we are in a pretty severe drought, I am thankful for the rain. It will probably be another 2 weeks before I can start setting out plants and seeds.

Think I will see if I can get out to the greenhouse to check on the seedlings there.

Reply to
The Cook

Started a few dozen brassicas (and inadvertantly started eggplants) back on Jan 16. The Brocc. Cabb. and Bussel Spts will be going into the ground around St. Pats day under a polytunnel if need be, the frame work is up already. Here in zone 7 (if last year was any indication) i wont be putting the more delicate tomatoes eggplants etc.out until the end of May beginning of June even though the last frost date is Apr. 14 its just to cold at night to risk losing these. Seems like I've got to slow them down by keeping them in a cooler area or I will have to repot these in March. Susan you didnt mention what area u are in, it could help the newbies like me gauge when to plant.

Glenn in NY

Reply to
Glenn

I'm watching the snow melt - well not today. When the night temps stay out of the single digits (or below 0) for a week - will think that spring is finally on the verge of breaking out.

Have the packages dated for starting - tomatoes, Melons, Brussels Sprouts, marigolds, stqrflowers, shallots, dahlias.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

Reply to
JonquilJan

I am in the Piedmont (foothills of the Blue ridge mountains) area of North Carolina. It is also zone 7. You must live near the coast.

I am going to put out the cold weather plants as soon as I can work the soil. It has rained or snowed for the past 3 days so it may take a while for the ground to dry enough so that I don't sink up to my ankles. I usually set out tomatoes after April 15. Eggplant and peppers go out a couple of weeks later.

Reply to
The Cook

Yes i am near the coast in the Southern Part of the state Zone 7a to be exact but I do have microclimates on my property ranging from 6 to 8. Most of NY state is 6/5 going all the way down to zone 3 near Canada.

Reply to
Glenn

That's me - nominally in Zone 4 but consider myself in Zone 3. Waiting for the snow to melt in northern New York - just east of the eastern end of Lake Ontario.