The most droolworthy melon

Which is the best melon that you have grown in terms of intensity and quality of flavour, and sweetness? We have to get down to specific cultivars and if possible the source of the seeds, just saying "rockmelon" is not helpful.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Steve Peek

Cucumis melo, Citrullus lanatus

As a rule, begrudging them the space, I don't grow

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Define "melon". As a rule, begrudging them the space, I don't grow melons but, when I do, it's a fairly thrifty, small watermelon called "Sugar Baby". It's a "for-two" sized, nearly spherical, dark-skinned, thin-rinded, near-seedless jewel that, when properly left to fully ripen, is aptly named and has a good flavor, too. Yes, I know Americans misspell "flavour" but there's none for it except to continue the tradition. Can't help with the seed source.They're dirt common in the 'States but dunno about elsewhere on this Earth. I don't see them on either T&M site.

Reply to
<balvenieman

Galia melons and either Yellow Doll or Yellow Pony watermelons. (Haven't been able to grow melons in years, though.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I planted honeydew in tubs this year and even with netting the melon, the critters did away with it. Same thing happened to what I think was a cantaloupe volunteer from compost mix-ins.

My flower bed in the front yard was liberally treated to compost and the tomato and melon volunteers are so numerous and so healthy and productive, that I am amazed. Of course, I have grown neither melons nor tomatoes in that bed before.

I have no idea of what varieties of either I am growing. There are cherry, grape and larger cluster tomatoes, as well as some sort of heirlooms. And I cannot as yet tell what sort of melons are coming up...not pumpkins, for sure. They look like cantaloupes and will be a welcome surprise if they ripen. This bed is thoroughly fenced in, although the tomatoes and vines are growing over the top and the deer are happy with the overgrowth. I may add netting on top.

And the impatiens are really loving the shade.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

My thanks to you. I didn't know whether you meant "watermelon", "honeydew", "cantaloupe" (AKA "muskmelon"), etc.

Reply to
<balvenieman