melon management

This is the first time we've tried to grow melons. We don't know the variety: the seeds (from Iran) were given to us.

Anyway, they're growing. The vines are spreading - maybe 3 - 4' long. And, flowering pretty extensively. Based on our experience with squash and tomatoes, I'd guess they have about 60 days before the clock runs out. I suspect this will be a problem.

So, is there anything I can do to speed things up? Like, would pinching off most of the flowers 'focus the energy' on the remaining ones? Or, prune off some vines, or pinch the tips?

Thanks, George Zone 5.5, Syracuse NY

Reply to
George