Questions for melon heads ..............

I live on a sand dune, basically. Fine sand, lava, and caliche. But lots of piled red sand in Southern Utah. Just like beach sand, only red.

I want to grow melons. Watermelons, cantaloupe, and any other melon that will grow.

I have two acres, and my irrigation water is expensive at $8 per month for unlimited quantity.

When planting melon hills on such terrain, what should I do? Should I take a couple bags of garden soil they sell at the nurseries and mix it in where I plant the seeds? Maybe a little fertilizer? I will be doing this repeatedly over the years I last, so will making the soil better each year help the yield, or is this a crop that needs to be alternated or rested? Or planted in a new place each year? The nutrients in the soil are very poor, and plant matter would be 2% on the high guess. I would like to get some good melons the first year, and after that if the beds are prepared right.

Can anyone give me some good advice?

Reply to
SteveB

Amend soil to 20% - 30% clay. Mix with organic material (compost is best or any thing easily broken down like leaves, alfalfa, or alfalfa pellets) and a couple of cups full of manure. Fish emulsion every two weeks until flowers and then stop. Don't let soil dry out but don't make it soggy (water every three days or so). It would be better if you can set up drip rather than trying to irrigate. Good news is that it sound like you have the heat for melons (sine qua non).

Reply to
Billy

As I think about it, make that 30% - 40% clay if the rest is really sand.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
farmerdill

The reason for the clay is to help hold nutrients and to slow down water loss your soil will still be 60% - 70% sand). Organic fertilizers will help build soil (microorganisms), chemical fertilizers will not. 4 bushels (1.25 cu. ft./bushel) of fresh cow manure or 1 bushel of chicken manure per 100 square feet will provide adequate nitrogen.

What is the nature of your caliche, small pieces or hardpan? See:

is the nature of your lava,small pieces or a continuous layer? Basalt? In small pieces, it should be good for the soil.

Reply to
Billy