New Tomatoes Seedlings

Planted seeds not too long ago, haven't grown tomatoes in ages. Had som

weeds or something grow and now I have what I believe to be tomat seedlings. If any one could give me some help would be great thanks

-- ian.barton1990

Reply to
ian.barton1990

Are they in the ground or in pots?

If they are in pots, keep them at least at 75F (24C) and put shop lights or grow lights directly over them but not touching them. Don't let soil go dry but don't over water (not soggy). On good days, put them outside.

If they are in the ground, get row covers (small green houses to keep them warm). Check with your local nursery.

Reply to
Billy

They are not in the ground as the weather is very poor at the curren moment, they are in a seed tray, at the moment I have 1 seedling whic I can't be sure it's a tomato so i thought I would just leave that on to grow to see what it grows to be. How much will this grow-shop ligh cost and are there any alternatives? Thanks for your help, I am jus getting back into gardening after a long time, hopefully I'll hav something to show for it soon.

Thanks Ia

-- ian.barton1990

Reply to
ian.barton1990

Grow lights and shop lights are two separate types of lights. I don't have any experience with the shop lights but other posters to this sight have said that they will get your plants up and growing (some plants require light for germination). Shop lights are larger and/or cheaper than grow lights. To raise plants under lights or to get them ready for transplanting into the garden, you will need grow lights or a very sunny window.

I don't remember how much my 24" grow lights cost (lights and hood) but two florescent replacements cost me $26 + shipping = $37. I purchased from

It may be a place to look to get an idea of what's available. I make no recommendation because I was rushed and just wanted to plug a problem. Most likely other posters will have some recommendations.

I can't remember if I mentioned that a hot pad, set on low, underneath the germination trays will greatly aid in the germination of your seeds. I put mine under an inverted rectangular, metal, cookie sheet to spread the warmth. That ensemble is inside a plastic bag with the germinating tray resting on the plastic bag. Underneath all is a towel for occasional moisture and 2" above the germinating tray are the florescent grow lights.

I'm presently trying to germinate cabbage and lettuce. Next month, April, I'll start germinating my core garden plants, tomatoes, zuchs, cucumbers, melons, and basil. None of which can go into the garden until mid-may.

Remember, every garden is a revolutionary act.

Reply to
Billy

Might want to google for pics of tomato seedlings!

Reply to
Omelet

Omelet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

You could try gently touching them. They have a distinctive smell that no other plants have. There is a weed that looks like a small tomato seedling, I've seen it a couple times. (For every plant, there is a weed that emulates it. -- Gardener's Lament)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The smell of tomato plant is a very treasured childhood memory, and one of my favorite things about them. :-)

I know what you mean and had not thought of that.

Reply to
Omelet