sweet peppers inside for winter?

It's starting to be freezing temperatures here, so I've dug up and potted a bunch of sweet red pepper plants that I started from seed last winter. They had a good growing season, and I can't bear to see my babies die out there!

I understand that peppers are a perennial, so if I succeed in keeping them alive until May, it seems I would be way ahead of a normal planting of young plants with these oldsters??

Any experience out there in wintering over sweet pepper plants? I half-tried once, and about all that happened was I was growing aphids inside :-(

David

Reply to
David Auker

I'm growing peppers inside this winter, but they aren't over-wintering. I started these from seeds this fall (indoors). So no aphids.

So far, they're doing very well. They're blooming now.

If they continue to do well, next spring I could transplant them outdoors (sort of the reverse of what you want to do).

Pat

Reply to
spamtrap

I have a pepper plant in a pot. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, maybe more. I've decided to toss it on the compost pile and not save it another year. I don't live in a good pepper growing climate. I thought leaving it in the pot and starting the season with a bigger plant might give me more peppers. That didn't work too well. I actually got few if any peppers during the summer but usually got several small ones when I brought it indoors in the fall. Try it, they are fairly easy to winter over indoors as long as you can provide enough light to keep them going.

Steve > It's starting to be freezing temperatures here, so I've dug up and potted a

Reply to
Steve

I overwintered a sweet pepper last winter but it did not do very well, I had peppers about all winter but it was ones that were already on the plant when I put it in the greenhouse. I put it out in the spring and it did not produce well. The new ones I started from seed had more peppers and earlier than it did!!!! Hope you have better luck.

Reply to
Sam

I took peppers indoors too. To get rid of aphids, put the pot into the bath tub once a week and gave the plant a shower. Large fruiting peppers stops producing indoors but small fruited ones like Jingle Bells can still produce a handful of new fruits through the winter. You need a really big pot, atleast 5gal, and a sunny window. The only problem with keeping a potted pepper was that after 2 years, the plant became woody and slowly died on its own.

Reply to
Pen

After a winter inside, how did your plants produce, when you put them back outside for their second season?

Reply to
David Auker

The large fruited peppers were not very productive compared to younger plants the following season. Jingle Bells had shot up to almost 5 feet during the winter and was quite productive the following summer.

Reply to
Pen

I wonder how sweet peppers fare in a climate where they get to "self-actualize" as perennials, with no hint of killing frost? How long do they live? Maybe they start losing productivity compared to younger plants?

David Oregon

Reply to
David Auker

Yeah. Seems to me many definitions of annual are frost-dependent.

Here's an interesting site related to peppers:

Frogleg