sunflower question

HI All,

My neighbor grew sunflowers last year (this year too). Two of his last years seeds took root in my back yard.

I now have two sunflower about 5 feet tall. One has a normal looking flower at is top.

The other has half sized leaves and 1/3 sized flowers all over it. About 10.

Hmmmm. Don't suppose the seeds he planted last year were hybrids and I got one of the original strains growing in my back yard?

I think I will collect seeds from both and deliberately plant them next year. I wonder which will give the most seeds!

-T

I would think so. Reads from the description that you have Maximilian Sunflower? Not sure, but they are common here.

Reply to
azigni

Hi Azigni

You got me looking at pictures of various Sunflowers!

Maxi's have the wrong size pedals and leaves.

These look exactly like a conventional sunflower, except the dicot style leaves and flower pedals and 1/3 the size. Plus flowers all over the place.

Hmmmmm! And there are multiples of four or five pedals, which means it has been hybridized. (Wild dicots are four or five pedals, but no multiples.)

This will be a fun mystery to solve. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!