What eats radish roots and sunflower leaves?

I have radishes and sunflowers growing together. The sunflowers are about 6" tall. Something is devouring the radish root where it grows above the soil, and also something is devouring the sunflower leaves. I've not seen any insect pests. The weather has been wet and cool. My first guess is slugs, since we have plenty of them here, and the weather is wet and cool. Will slugs eat sunflower leaves?

And a romp through google land has not given me any clear ideas about how to control slugs. copper...chemicals...egg shells...garlic.... Anyone here have some practical experience - something that works - that they would care to share?

Reply to
Zootal

My first guess would be slugs but I've also had problems with mice i my poly-tunnel, although they can't reach your sunflower leaves.. Check for nibble marks :)

Also check for little black eggs under and at the base of the leaves could be caterpillars.

Slug pellets? You can buy them in every gardening shop in the country If you've got kids and dogs around, try and get the non-toxic one though as they look like little blue sprinkles :D. They're price enough but they do the job.

grimm

Crows are intelligent.

However, we found that a potato hawk worked surprisingly well: A larg potato with two long feathers, one on each side, hung from a tall pol so that it hovered above the threatened plants

Reply to
beccabunga