Tomatoes curling up like corkscrews

I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal.

I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it.

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

:On Jun 4, 6:52?pm, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote: :> I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line :> or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over :> fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I :> want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal. :>

:> I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :> luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :> of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :> aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :> wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :> unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. :>

:> Dan : :Is it the stems that are curling up, or the leaves?

It's the stems. I always seem to have some leaf curl too, and do this year also (exposing the bottoms of the leaves, and it's pronounced), but I think this is probably a different issue.

Reply to
Anonymous

Look on the bright side, you can stake them just by sliding a bamboo stick down the middle of the curl!

Reply to
www.locoworks.com

Check it out here

The Cook

Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?

Reply to
Marie Dodge

Sounds more like 2,4-d to me.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

:On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:52:20 -0700, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) :wrote: : :>I've seen this sort of strange growth on tomatoes before. I read a line :>or two in a book that seemed to suggest tangentally that over :>fertilization of some kind might be responsible for this. However, I :>want some confirmation because it was very anecdotal. :>

:>I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :>luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :>of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :>aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :>wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :>unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. :>

:>Dan : : :Check it out here : :

Good approach, and appreciated, however I don't see the conditions here that I've experienced. Anyone know other tomato disease sites?

Reply to
man

:>> I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :>> luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :>> of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :>> aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :>> wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :>> unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. :> :> Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up? :> :>>

:>> Dan :> : : :Sounds more like 2,4-d to me. : :Bob

I don't believe I've used anything like that. The only weed control I've used is Roundup and as I just posted, not for around a year.

Dan

Reply to
man

:> I have 6 Early Girl tomato plants growing where I usually have very good :> luck. They are planted in soil that was mixed with a considerable amount :> of my own compost do a depth of nearly 2 feet. However, the plants :> aren't doing terribly well, the the corkscrew-like twisting has me :> wondering if I did something wrong. Does anyone know what causes this :> unusual growth pattern? I don't usually get it. : :Did one of your neighbors spray with a weed killer like Round-Up?

I wouldn't know. Undoubtedly some of that in the neighborhood, and in fact I've used Roundup a few times although not recently and it was so long ago I believe it would have decomposed based on the Roundup label, etc. I haven't used Roundup for around a year, I'd guess, and when I did I was careful to target weeds.

Dan : :>

:> Dan

Reply to
man