Sudden wilt in tomato plant

x-no-archive: yes

A week ago I transplanted a tomato plant (Hungarian Italian, about 7 weeks old) into a 7-gal. pot with fresh potting soil. The plant was healthy and vigorous when it went in. Now it's drooping, even though I've watered it generously. The plants in adjoining pots (planted at the same time and under the same conditions) seem to be doing just fine. I've checked the stem of the plant and it doesn't seem to be cut off below ground (I know some insects and grubs can do this). Does anyone know what could be the problem here?

Thanks in advance.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

Could be shock from transplanting. You don't say whether it went in the pot with a good clump of soil on its roots or if it was bare root or if it's been exposed to strong sun.

Lay off the water until the top inch or two is dry, place the pot in filtered shade, and hope for the best.

Reply to
TQ

Overwatering could be an issue...

Have the nights been too cool? Most Tomatoes like warmer nights, I'm thinking 50-55 degrees F at night.

Was the seedling grown indoors? If so, did you harden it before setting it outside? Indoor seedlings aren't used to wind or direct sun and need a week or two in indirect sun and sheltered slightly from wind, like on a porch. Seedlings can become sunburned by the sudden and prolonged full sunlight.

What plants are you comparing it to in other pots? That might illustrate the conditions that favor those and not tomatoes. If the others were greens, brassicas and peas I'd guess that the weather was cool, since they like cool and tomatoes need the warmth.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl
[wilt in potted tomato plant]

Tomato plants in other pots (all grown from seed, all hardened off) were doing fine. This particular plant had rotted roots. Why, I don't know. The plant sharing its pot (15-gal. container) is settling in and showing new growth. I dug up the dying plant and confirmed that its roots were moldy and dead. I wrapped up the plant and threw it out. It's a mystery. Hope the remaining plant in the pot doesn't succumb.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra