Straw hats for gardening question

My husband has very light skin (red headed) and has had skin cancer removed in the past. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows of a place to buy a very wide brim hat, like a sombrero. I've searched the internet, but none that we have found have brims wide enough to protect the sides of his face. Catalog address or internet address if you know of any. Any help will be appreciated. Anna

Reply to
Anna

I think they pretty much top out at 4 inch brims. You might want to consider a cap with sun blocking drapes (Solumbra or Coolibar are a couple of brand names I am slightly familiar with.)

I bought a wide brimmed gardening hat by Sloggerwear this spring. Best gardening hat I've ever had, but only a 4" brim. I use SPF-50 sunscreen (with zinc oxide) *and* the hat.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Order a sombrero from Mexico. ;-)

They have much larger brims than 4 inches! I'm considering getting one for myself next time I go down there. (I live close to the border). I am very fair skinned and am not a sun worshipper.

tried a regular google search but just turned up smaller brimmed sombreros. IMHO one this size is far better! I'm probably going to bid on it. It'd be cheaper than paying for gas for a trip to Mexico.

OTOH one of the local mexican import shops might carry one.

Hmmmmmmmm....

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Hi All, you may try to get a beekeepers hat and remove the net. I think the brim is more than 4" . hope this is of some help to tou.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R. M. Watkin

Wow, they sure went all out with the pictures for that auction! Look at all the poses and costume changes just to sell that one item with a $17 starting bid! I looked at the seller's other auctions and looked at another hat. Even more pictures! Interesting.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yeah. ;-) The problem with doing that to your auctions is that only broadband users can really see those! Anyone on dial-up is out of luck.

I did some web searches for the larger brimmed sombreros but got the best results out of ebay.

Reply to
Katra

Almost all straw hats and straw sombreros have an SPF of 2 or so. That's right-2 not the 50+ he needs (I'm a redhead). The uv goes right through the holes in the straw hat, so they are basicallty worthless. Get a straw hat lined with UV blocking cloth, or a solid type of hat and use sunscreen UVA and B at SPF 40-50+. One good place to find such protective gear is a good sports store and they also have non greasy high SPF blocks that do not come off when you sweat.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick

Where did you get that info.? That makes no sense... A straw hat is going to block the majority of the sunlight. The holes are not THAT big if it's cross-woven!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:

I agree, I've got several straw hats that are very tightly woven and a minimal amount of sun would ever get through them.

Reply to
Ann

Reply to
Nicole H

I got my 4" brim starw hat at Walmart. Mde in China, of course. Not very well made (at $5.95 + 8.1 percent or the Gov) but they will usually last for a year or so (in AZ)

Stetson makes wide brim cowboy straw hats. Available here in the West at stores that cater to Clothing Store Cowboys. Pricy.

Olin

Reply to
omi

Reply to
Nicole H

sigh.... Straw Hats offer very little protection-even with the freaking liners.

from

Hats and protective clothing A hat brim of four inches or greater is recommended and patients should make certain that the top and brim of a straw hat have sun-proof liners in place. Small-brim hats (less than 2.5 cm) provide a sun protection factor (SPF) of 1.5 for the nose and minimal shield for the chin. Medium-brim hats (2.5-7.5 cm) offer a SPF of 2 for the cheek and a SPF of 3 for the nose. Broad-brim hats (>7.5 cm) provide a SPF of 3 for the cheek, an SPF 7 for the nose, an SPF of 5 for the neck, and SPF of 2 for the chin. There are lightweight plastic hats that are commercially available and designed specifically to provide a physical block to UV radiation (e.g., Sun Helmets
Typical summer shirt fabrics only offer SPF of

6.5. Weave tightness is the most important factor in sun protection of fabrics followed by the fabric type. Cotton and polyester/cotton blends offer comparable photoprotection. When stretched, the Lycra fabric is significantly less effective than when it is lax. Darker color fabrics provide greater photoprotection than do lighter color fabrics. It is also important to note that fabrics are significantly less photo-protective when wet. Several clothing lines offering maximized UV protection (e.g. SPF 30) are currently being marketed and are easily accessed through the Internet (e.g., Solumbra Ultra Sun protective Clothing [sunprecautions.com]; Frogwear Sun Protective Clothing [1-800-328-4440]; MasqueRays [sunproof.com]; Sun Protective Clothing [sunprotectiveclothing.com]; SunGrubbies [sungrubbies.com]). Such sun-protective specialty clothing is also marketed for fishermen and those going on safaris.
Reply to
Rick

Ok, I see the source that you got the info. from...

but all I know is is that I NEVER EVER get sunburned on my face if I'm wearing a straw hat.

If I don't wear one, I get sunburned...... Even on my scalp.

Now what?

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Well, I'd say SPF 2 or 3 or so must be enough for you (eg 3 hrs = 1 hr of sun). Me- I get moon burns and I envy those who have more melanin. But seriously a burn is not the only indication of UV damage. Skin cancer is pretty rampant these days, and one does not need to burn to get CA.

Reply to
Rick

Rick expounded:

I wear sunscreen on my ears, face, etc. I don't depend on the hat for that kind of protection.

I depend on the hat to keep the sun off my scalp, which it does, nicely.

If I don't keep the sun off my scalp I get a headache. The hat works. That's why you should use a straw hat. In conjunction with sunscreen.

Reply to
Ann

I don't know anything about straw hats but I know about those uv rays. The uv rays can still cause damage even if you're not seeing a physical burn. you probably have more pigment in your skin and can thus tolerate more uv rays. then there are the rays that are reflecting back at you. various surface reflect rather than absorb.

I wear a broad spectrum sunscreen under my solumbra (spf 50) sport shirt and on my face even with a wide brim hat on.

I react to indoor lighting at times. It's crazy. happy gardening nic

Reply to
Nicole H

interesting that the site would indicate that a straw hat is only 2. I wear a straw hat, and use 45 on the back of my neck where the hat does not protect. The hat protects my ears & forehead.

I was looking swim suits a while ago. A site that offered tan-thru suits said that the suit was about SPF 5, and to get an even tan, the body parts not in the suit needed to be coated with SPF 5.

Bruce

Bruce & Lois Nelson