Hard skin

Long story short, I've got very hard skin on my feet which can be a discomfort when walking. I've tried the missus scholl rotating thingy with limited success, keep stalling it. A thought occured that I could try my random orbital detail sander with some 60 or 80 grit - has anyone tried this - any success?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Angle grinder!

Seriously though go and see a chiropodist they have all the right tools.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The angle grinder is too fast. I use my drill, a flap disc and an adapter. Snowfire stick too. The adapter is not great, but it does the job. The Snowfire is great. I have tried other solutions, none come close to being as good as this combination so far.

misterroy

Just get yourself a "Ped-egg". It's like a small parmesan grater for your feet.

Much easier if your feet have had a soak first.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The missus has a thing called a Ped-Egg, which is like a small egg-shaped fine cheese grater. Works great for me, and I use it before each bath. Only costs a couple of quid, and worth every penny IMHO. Don't overdo it on the first go, though :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Done the grating, not as good.

Reply to
misterroy

Eg.

Tim+

I've never needed skin motorised removal, but I do use some "foot files" which came free from sockshop, they are like wide wooden paddles with sandpaper glued to them (I guess about 80 and 120 grits) so I just rasp the hard skin off with those ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A week rubbing in Flexitol Heel Balm should "cure" it for a while especially if the pain is coming from cracks in the hard skin.

Other

I've suffered similar for years - on and off - and have had some success removing hard skin on the feet with

BUT only after soaking my feet in hot water for 30 minutes (30 minute bath) and allowing to dry out for 10 minutes. You can feel that the skin is ready to shed if you scratch it with your finger nails and the top layer of the dry skin comes off. This scraper will not work without soaking your feet. In summer and you've been wearing shoes all day and your feet have been sweating the tool can be used immediately after removing your shoes/socks and before they dry out.

Reply to
alan_m

But don't spend £5 on the file, spend it on bamboo socks and as a new customer you do (did?) get a file for free ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It happens that Tim+ formulated :

I don't have that much of a problem, but I like to take care of my feet so bought one of those. I found it a bit too course and so sharp it would dig itself into the none hard skin. Quite painful.

I found works well is a device like the Schole (sp?) type unit advertised on TV, abrasive on a battery powered roller. Except they are not that powerful, press too hard and they can be stopped. Even that was capaple of generating enough heat to be painful unless it was kept moving. They work best when the skin is very dry.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

a soak in formalin really softens the dead skin up, makes it removable. But I see it's not free of toxicity now.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, they are for hard skin only. I walk to work and back (and then up to our lad's school and back) each day, so I get quite a bit of hard skin on the soles. It's not a problem (other than that the thick areas can get a bit numb, which I worry about) - I just prefer to get rid of it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Or the heavy duty version

Rob Morley

"Bamboo socks" sounds more like minimalist snow shoes.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Just use the orange zester (*) from the kitchen. Don't tell the wife.

(* Actually, Microplanes are used for both things ...)

Reply to
Huge

Dan S. MacAbre formulated the question :

Me too, it is surprising how much nicer my feet feel, after I do them. What I don't like is the thick three cornered shape of the pads of my smaller toes and spend ages trying to reshape them back to live skin.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most of the funky hipster "bamboo" textile products are just rayon produced from cellulose of bamboo origin. Apparently the process of converting raw cellulose to a useful polymer involves nasty chemicals which poison workers.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You have to be joking, right? My feeling is that if you are troubled in this way, then something is wrong and you need to go to a doctor and find out what.Normally long soaking of skin makes it easier to remove but you need to find out quite why its happening, wearing certain footwear, walking in a bad way or something going on causing a kind of excess of skin renewal or shedding. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

i use a six inch angle grinder with masonary disc.......

Reply to
Jim.GM4DHJ ...