Storm was close!

Last night a wind storm swept in but this time the tree flowers made it, sheltered by the house. 50mph gusts. Some around me were not so lucky, sadly.

Green houses tipped over it not anchored but we were fine. We ran ropes through the 6 cinderblocks we mounted it on, then anchored those to the structure. It's solid. Virginia Beach is hurricane terratory though it's mostly near misses.

Reply to
cshenk

It got awfully windy here too. I've been postponing setting out my lettuce and vinca plants, but they're getting crowded inside under the plant light.

From this morning's weather radio forecast, it sounds like we're going to be dumped directly into summer next week with temps going into the 80s. Who wants to bet those poor lettuce plants will go directly to seed )do not pass go, do not collect $200)?

Nyssa, who finds it frustrating sometimes to be a gardener, but is bored out of her mind if she skips the growing season

Reply to
Nyssa

the winds were here some but nothing too major for us. knocked some power out for about 90,000 people for our power company, but they're down to about 20,000 this morning.

nice sunny but breezy day today. chances of rain again tonight and later this week for several days. pretty much a normal spring season so far, which is ok with me.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Nyssa wrote: ...

i would rather garden than go to a gym. in terms of production i've found out what does work for us and i try not to grow too many other things until i know they work out.

since Mom is pretty picky about her lettuces i don't even bother trying to grow those any more - i'd rather have more beans anyways! :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Figured so. MSN is recapping our tornado warnings. Nothing happened this but about a yeat ago one of our more affluent neighborhoods got hit hard.

i put mine in partial shade. The nice thing about a container garden is you can move it around 8-)

I'm having fun! Post retirement leaves me time for such. I'm even sprouted seeds inside. Delicata squash did really well. They are

5inches tall already!
Reply to
cshenk

This year it's black seeded simpson, salad bowl reds, mesclun, and romaine. Just put in more green onions. About 1/2 planted, just doing a bit, day by day.

Reply to
cshenk

Planting seems about May for you?

Reply to
cshenk

cshenk wrote: ...

in a week or two i'll put in the first peas and beans knowing that i may lose the beans to frosts. most the time they've been working out ok though.

regular warm weather planting season starts out mid-to- late May.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I've got three flavors of lettuce going: New Red Fire, Tom Thumb, and Summertime. I've found the New Red Fire, a leaf lettuce, to be the most dependable in these parts.

I use them all as leaf lettuce since waiting for them to head up before the hot weather (even putting the pots into the shady areas isn't a guarantee) gets me a nice selection for sandwiches and salads.

I love green beans, but they just are a pot-worthy item. Sure I could grow a plant or two, but that wouldn't get me much at a time to fill the cooking pot. When I had my backyard-in-the-ground garden, I'd grow two rows and be able to pick a potful every other day in season. I *really* miss that.

I got the chairs out on the new deck this morning, but it's turned windy again, so no more work outside today. The pollen count makes it rough going too. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Nyssa, who is behind with the pot gardening by a few weeks, but hopes to catch up Real Soon Now

Reply to
Nyssa

I'm glad you're enjoying it. You've earned it!

I'm just glad that all of the refurbishing and upgrading for the house exterior is *finally* finished so I can start concentrating on the indoor fixes and the outdoor gardening.

Nyssa, who has a nice looking house after more than three years of working to get it this way

Reply to
Nyssa

Bush beans such as Blue Lake are very productive even when crowded. I grow them in "flower" pots every years and often have so many planted in a pot on the deck that it takes effort to look around in the greenery to find all the beans.

They grow like weeds.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

I've had Tom Thumb, this year I just got what I saw. I start one container then the other 3 weeks later and keep them going until Aeptember or so with fresh seeds, rotating pots.

I gave on any types of head lettuce too.

With 20 containers here, it's almost as big as many an 'in-ground garden' here.

It will be. How big is the deck? I started with porches in apartments and grew in containers (renter).

You will! Just get seedling plants and more lettuce seeds (smile).

Reply to
cshenk

Grew those last year, they did quite well (uh, after I ignored the "soak for a few hours" hint on the packet). Went with some pole beans this year, so we'll see how that pans out ...

Reply to
Dan Purgert

I bought a package of Blue Lake Bush this morning and will give Boron's idea a try this summer.

I've *really* missed my green beans since the deer wiped out my large garden.

Nyssa, who is preparing for another big storm coming this afternoon/evening with predicted wind gusts between 50-70 mph (and is glad she still hasn't planted her lettuce, vinca, and parsley outdoors)

Reply to
Nyssa

I'll try blue lakes next year.

Reply to