The Monster Storm

Well, my garden is intact after the California Hurricane..... The big storm that hit Friday. Wind gusts were over 80 mph. Over 2 inches of rain here-much more in many places.(14 inches!!) My only casualties were a 15 foot Buddleia that blew half over and hooked itself onto the climbing rose. So I trimmed it, the Buddleia, back to 5 feet and pushed it upright, stomped the roots back in and held it up with a big rock. I would hate to lose it, the trunks are 4 inch diameters. Our huge pine tree got a good pruning and distributed pine needles and branches all over the yard. (more chippings for mulch). Cleaned up pine 'poop' today. The whole northern CA area was hit hard -over 90000 house holds in the county without power. Our was off from 8 am Fri until 2 am Sat. Son just got his back this am at 2. Some still have no electricity. Trees down all over town, and we have lots of them. Some are still on top of roofs, some are on cars, and some lost huge branches the size of small trees. Tree litter is pretty well cleaned up and piled up at the curb (more compost for the city facility) Traffic lights were off everywhere, people got along extremely well just making them into stop signs. Most are operating now. This is a huge almond growing area, and the orchards were really devastated. One grower lost 85% of his trees. Whole rows of trees went down like dominoes. Some young ones may be saved if they didn't go completely out of the ground, but many old ones are gone. We'll be hearing chain saws for awhile.

At the local school a row of 6 ash trees were all damaged, a couple looked just like hurricane/tornado damage, with the trees all twisted and broken like sticks (big old trees)\\ That's enough now; it's good to be back online and reading rec.gardens again Emilie in Northern California

Reply to
mleblanca

mleblanca expounded:

Well, Emilie, I'm glad you didn't suffer more damage. I have to say, sounds like the Blizzard of 78 we had. They thought it was an out of season hurricane - it's rather strange having thunder and lightning during a blizzard! We had three to four feet of snow around here from that one.

Reply to
Ann

Emilie! glad to hear you are OK and so is your garden!

I've survived a few hurricanes, more than a few blizzards and my worst nightmare are still ice storms.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Spent last night in the bomb shelter buried next to the barn. Nearly twenty tornadoes touched down, killing (so far reported) three and many injuries and zillions in property damage. Luckily, they missed me, going by just to the north and south. I had just cut back the grapes and mulched some roses, after record 71 degrees Sunday. S'posed to snow tonight. Hard to plan for. :) Well, at least it filled the pond.

cheers

oz

Reply to
MajorOz

I've seen some "maybe tornados" - they are supposedly happen around here and thankfully, I've never been in the path. I think they'd scare me as much as an icestorm does.

Cheryl Isaak

We had a minor tornado a few years back. Some folks still talk about the train like sound. This was very minor as just some tree's were downed. Bad weather here is fog , black ice and 5 inches of snow. Lost power once due to lighting for about a week. Our main health hazard seems to be young drivers on cell phones and perhaps too many visits to the doctors.

Seems we are VERY lucky.

Hope all goes well with all.

Bill who was out in 70 F weather today doing spring clean up chores.

WEIRD

Reply to
Bill

It was very warm today here as well - low 50's and the snow is melting quickly. It is supposed to be warm again tomorrow and then get colder again. Maybe snow on Friday!

Cheryl Isaak

Monday was 62oF, torrential downpour with lightning and thunder, south of us they got a tornado or 2. today was 52, tonight it snows. sheesh. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Ingrid

Reply to
dr-solo

Thundersnow rules. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Have to agree with that. Ice storms can knock out residential electrical supply radically, and weather can delay the fixes for many days afterwards. They also tear up major and minor trees without discrimination.

Wind can rip any tree from the soil if its loosely packed, or an old dying tree. Saplings take more than a few months to set their roots as well if transplanted. They are essentially in a mudhole until that happens. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

A roof around here won't support a redwood tree. There are at least three homes here that have been sliced in half like birthday cakes (fortunately no fatalities). The storm hit Friday. Today is Wednesday and, PG&E still hasn't got everybody reconnected to electricity. Been here thirty years and this is as bad as it gets.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
dr-solo

Thank you for your astute and pertinent observation dr-solo.

A quick check shows that there aren't many single family reinforced concrete domed domiciles here in western Sonoma County. How about you Emilie, is this a toni fashion statement popular in Chico? Domed?

Branches over a vehicle (to avoid attracting unwanted attention*) is currently more popular than domed domiciles here. However, the two styles (huddling under branches and, domed domiciles with porticos) will probably experience a recrudescence as the middle-class moseys into extinction.

Here, in that sleepy, little, wide-spot in the road, known as Forestville, the garden beds are cleaned, covered with news print, mulched with alfalfa and oak leaves, and seeded with green manure. Crop rotation is figured out. Got my seeds. In a month, I'll start germinating my cabbages but for now, it's watch the rain and wait.

*
Billy

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com expounded:

How do you figure that? I had a tree come down on my house, the trunk leaned against the side and the branches were on the roof - my house is not a cement dome.

Reply to
Ann

Hi All I'll just respond en masse so to speak

  1. Cheryl and Ann and others thanks for your good wishes.
  2. I agree that hurricanes/tornados are scarier. I can't imagine what those winds would be like, 80mph was a horrendous sound. I haven't experienced either one, but have seen their work
3.Oz happy to hear you survived all those tornados!
  1. Ice storms are definitely not fun and really bad news,
5.Billy; glad you survived too. We have been here 25 yrs and ditto, never seen damage this widespread, and so MANY trees, down and large branches ripped off. Deodaras are not as big as redwoods, but can also slice an house in half. Or a full size Ponderosa/Jeffrey Pine can do it.(Paradise woman's house) When I am 90 I can say, "why I remember the big one of 07"
  1. Dome house: There used to be an old 1970s version here, and I have seen a newer one, but my memory is not telling me just where they are. Will have to cruise around and see if I can find them
  2. Update: final figure: 120,000 in county w/o power. some still do not have it. We have had workers from ID, MO, and all over helping out. and some people can do nothing but whine about how slow they were!
3 ash trees at the school will survive, 3 are firewood.Another inch of rain since storm, and Much snow will help to fill reservoirs, Enough......... Emilie
Reply to
mleblanca

There will always be somebody bitching about post storm clean up. Handy thing I learned after the last storm. IF there is a disabled person, especially on O2 assist and they are "listed" with the utilities as such, those homes are targeted as second priority after shelters/hospitals/nursing homes/police and fire. Works for snow removal too.

We usually get help from Canada - some of the restaurants actually give them a break on their meals.

Cheryl Who after the last bad ice storm had a pine tree on her deck, but it missed the house.

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

well... dome are round and there is no flat surface that takes a direct hit, instead there is a curved surface that takes a glancing blow and the tree slides down. taking shingles with it I am sure.

those of us who are fascinated with domes, even those actually live in domes see some obvious advantages in the case of natural disasters. cement domes are impervious to nearly everything, hurricanes, fire, tornado, termites, earthquakes. dont know if there is data on withstanding earth slides, but there was one dome in S. Carolina took a hurricane straight on and the wind shoved the dome off the pilings and moved it, but didnt destroy it either. that one wasnt even cement.

like an egg, the rounded shape is naturally stronger than a box. There is no "roof" on a dome, the rounded shape extends all the way to the sides. there are a lot of examples of domes withstanding fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. online

in earthquake country "code" has specified new buildings must be designed to not fall apart in earthquakes. in fire country, I dont understand why code is not written to prevent construction of homes that burn so easily. WOOD SHINGLES?????

in hurricane areas I dont understand why code isnt written to prevent construction of homes that are ripped up so easily. and in flood areas why they let people build on flood plains or at least dont demand these houses must be built on piers above flood level.

Ingrid

Reply to
dr-solo

Here (northern California) we are talking second growth redwoods, 4' -

5' diameter at the their bases and at least 100' tall (lots of kinetic energy). The two story house below us was dissected as a young (?) redwood passed through the roof, the second story wall, the second story floor, the first story wall and stopped at the first floor because the top of the tree struck the opposing hillside. Even Buckminster Fuller's design would have been put to the test.

Here in California we must build challet type houses because of the threat of earthquake.

Reply to
Billy

Last night the weather guy said today is the anniversary of last year's ice storm that had the city of Springfield and all of SW MO dark for up to two weeks. I had two neighbor families living in my guest rooms for four days, as I was one of very few that lost power for only a couple hours. Here'bouts, power is missed primarily for everyone's wells to operate. Also have LP heat and fireplace. But beautiful. The whole world was prisms and rainbows.

cheers

oz, who really can do without a repeat this year.

Reply to
MajorOz