Soil Depth for Raspberries / Currants

My new allotment was dug up by the council with a massive digger, so there's lots of debris (boulders, wood boards, etc) buried in the soil. The soil is very heavy and wet.

Last weekend I started to dig out a trench for raspberries, and holes for red/white/blackcurrants. After about 1 or 2 spits deep, more often than not I hit rubbish that took herculean efforts to dig out, and very soon my back gave up.

I'd planned to dig 2 spits deep and then add manure to the trench. If there's debris at the 2 spits depth, is it okay to leave it there and hope the roots find their way around, or does it all have to come out?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mel

My raspberries are in a place that was formerly a dog run paved with limestone. Rather than dig the limestone out, I covered with wood chips and planted. This was in 1996, and they are still going strong. My guess is that you will be fine.

Reply to
simy1