another beginner question-

hi everyone-

i'm in southern NJ (in land, not coastal). What would be some good veggies to direct sow???

thanks so much

betsey

Reply to
betsey

in which season, for which harvest, in which soil?

Reply to
simy1

oh my goodness...

planting season...spring/summer...harvest-summer/fall. soil is top soil with a clay base...yes, i know, it needs amending!

i'm just not sure i want to get into starting indoors and then transplanting...

betsey

Reply to
betsey

I tried doing that and the cat had a field day with the chutes. Good roughage for her though I suppose. ;-)

Now I go to the local nursery and buy plants pre-started and just plant 'em in the garden.

I have a small area. I usually plant garlic (but that's planted in the fall), tomatoes, bell peppers, cukes, and maybe a summer squash plant. That's about all I have room for. The squash is done from seed.

In the past, I have done radishes, beets and broccoli. You should be able to grow about anything in that area.

I'm in growing zone 5a/b (Poughkeepsie, New York)

As for soil prep, I just till it up well, go to the nursery and get bags of composted cow manure and then till that in. It has a VERY slight odor and only for a day or two when you're close to it. My garden always does extremely well.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

There are many veggies that are best direct seeded. Beets, carrots (though I would wait on the carrots until after two or three years, when your soil will be lighter - if you keep amending it), chard, beans and peas of all sorts, favas, kale, garlic (if your soil is not too wet, to be sure make it a slightly raised bed), potatoes, lettuce, most smaller greens (arugula, tatsoi, mache) , onions (same considerations as carrots), all manners of chicory. If this list is insufficient, I could think of others. Basically, anything with a taproot, anything small, and most things large-seeded.

You could have two crops if you manage it well, as I do from most of my garden, all from direct seeding, if you are in full sun and have an average NJ summer. If you can cover with a hoophouse, you could direct seed even the summer vegetables (zucchini,cukes, tomato, melons) one month ahead of the regular schedule. In fact, in the old days everything was direct seeded. I use transplants only in conjunction with mulch, so that weeding is eliminated. If you plan to leave your soil bare, I see no reason to fumble with dirty pots in March inside the house.

Reply to
simy1