Snipping

I planted my pepper seeds last night. Set up some lamps. The seed man suggests that you snip off the early leaves. I never did that and not sure if I should. I got peppers from Ghost to Jalapeno.

I should also heat up my dirt.

On the final growing season, it has been found that the root temperature is highly influential on hotness level.

greg

Reply to
Gz

Hmmm... I usually wait until at least four or six true leaves on any plant show before any snipping and then it is only the bottom two leaves that will be in the way of transplanting my seedlings. It sorta goes like this for me. I first start with two inch pots, snip, transplant to three inch pots, snip, transplant to five inch pots, snip, then outside for rest of time. Also other leaves start to look bad... Snip. If the whole plant looks bad I rip the plant out. If the whole tray looks bad I start to cuss and kick over the trays onto the floor and growl :)

Peppers are slow to germinate and slow to grow. I do not use heat pads, however I do put my plants over my floor heat registers. I myself prefer the sweet peppers.

Reply to
Nad R

80F - 85F for germinating.

Huh?

Reply to
Billy

I might add a heat lamp. I was trying to explain the little message note I received with my seeds from Pepper Joe. What I read, as cut off the first leaves. Then cut off the weaklings to let the better plants grow, in a batch.

greg

Reply to
Gz

Hmmm... It is the soil that needs the warmth more than the leaves for seed starting. Heat lamps may not supply the light spectrum that plants need in which the grow lights provide. A cheap $20 T-5 grow light would work for pepper seedlings.

I use a wire self rack over a floor heat register to my trays on. Electric heating pads might also use a lot less power than a heat lamp.

Reply to
Nad R

Heat lamps can be small in wattage compared to pads, but most of the heat goes up in the air.

I use regular CFL's for light, and use the daylight spectrum. They work well. I use a reflector on them. Clamp on types.

Previously I grew things in the other house near the south dinning room area. All sunlight. I also used to sun dry my peppers there.

greg

Reply to
Gz