Small white fuzzy gnats

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but this time of year in New England we get what look like minute balls of white to whitish-blue fuzz flying about. If you catch one, they look like little black flies with bits of fuzz around the abdomen. Any ideas what they're called? The air can get quite busy with them.

Reply to
Wilson

sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this:

I think I've found it. Woolly Alder Aphid picture at

and description at

Wilson

e right place to ask, but this time of year in

Those are really neat! I wonder if they are in the state of Michigan too? I've yet to see them.

Reply to
brandis

I think those are called white flies.

Reply to
Omelet

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:

Yes, that's it, the Latin for which is Paraprociphilus tessellatus

Reply to
Wilson

Coming in late (I've been on vacation)...

Yes, there are species of wooly aphids that occur in Michigan.

I've never seen large outbreaks of them, but I have seen them.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz