Seeds

A neighbor has just informed me that he has been having a problem getting seeds from a local nursery. Seems the government has something to do with it. Anyone heard anything?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What nursery? What Government?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Yes, Obama administration is going after companies like Burpee that only give you a dozen seeds for $2.98. Obscene profits and misuse of TARP funds are driving seed companies to bankruptcy.

Reply to
Frank

This would be wonderful. I just bought 70 mg of Burpee Chamomile seed for 1.79. This equates to US$ 11,600.00 per pound.

Can you cite a responsible reference where I can read about the government action?

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

If you need german chamomile seeds, I got tons...literally...it has become a weed on our property...and it gets tall...over 5ft...I would pay people to take the seeds I harvested last year if I had the money to pay them...

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Just being facetious, of course.

I got a much better deal on my Burpee cucumber seeds, 700 mg. for $1.99

Reply to
Frank

That is a much better deal, only $1290.00 per pound.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Not sure what you are saying Frank? Could we get a citation?

Reply to
Billy

Add to this the 2008 acquistion of Netherlands based De Ruiter Seeds.

"Unlike the Seminis business, which is primarily directed at the open-field vegetable market, the bulk of De Ruiter's business is for greenhouse growers, known as the "protected culture market," which Monsanto said is the fastest-growing area of the vegetable seed industry today."

Ya' know, this brings up another problem, involving supporting your local nursery and grower. What is the source of their seed?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Thrilled to hear it (if true - couldn't find a citation). Monsanto is my favorite object of international hatred. Among the other unconscionable things they do: SELL water to indigenous people (S. America, I think I read in Mother Jones' article on the subject.) People who used to dig their own wells, are now stuck with BUYING

Reply to
Amateur

You missed my "just being facetious" response ;)

Reply to
Frank