quirky containers

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. I have looked for other threads on the subjects and although there are lots, none address my specific question. I would like to start growing some veggies, my mum did when I was younger and I miss homegrown! I want to use 3 containers for my patio I bought recently. I think they look pretty cool, vintage and unique (ok Im a girl what can I say, I like things to look good too!) One is an old wine crate (size of a normal wine crate!), the other is an old tin washtub (about 1m in length/35cm width/23cm high) and the last is half a barrel. Now I know I'm not going to fill my kitchen with food using these but I'd like some advice as to what to plant in each one. I'm guessing plants of the dwarf variety! Could I get multiple plants in any of these? i.e could I fit lettuce, radish, spring onions, rocket and beetroot in one? or is that overcrowding?

Onions, carrots and beans in another? Maybe strawberries & rhubarb in another? Or maybe I should do one variety per pot?

Also, I was planning to plant from seed in the containers or should I use a propagation tray first?

Sorry for all your help. I've ordered a book which arrives soon so hopefully that will help

Reply to
hungry gardener

Just about any container will do if it has drainage and you fit the plant to the size.

That mix would be fine. Refer to the planting distances on the seed pack. You can go closer if your soil is rich.

Get climbing beans and train them up a support to make more room.

Maybe strawberries & rhubarb in

These are long term items all the rest you mention are annuals.

It depends on the plant. Some take transplanting quite well (lettuce) others not (carrot). Look up your book or instuctions on the pack.

Remember you need full sun for most veges and you must check your pots at least daily in hot weather as they will tend to dry out quickly and may need watering.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thanks so much, Ill let you know how I get on!

'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:

Reply to
hungry gardener