Physalis, Cape Gooseberry, Tomatillo, Ground Cherry, Golden Berry

Hi all,

Can anyone help with this Physalis plant. It has recently gone from a lush bright green colour to having many mottled purple/brown leaves and purple stems. I have re-potted it today in a pot with better drainage but don't think this is really the problem.

It is the same variety as sold in shops in the UK with yellow sweet fruits inside the husks, not the purple variety that is also grown.

It feels to me like a virus and don't want it affecting my other plant I have bought since.

Any help much appreciated!

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: physalis.jpg | |Download:
Yummy Plants

I would think it is about time for it to die. They are annuals you know.

Reply to
Steve Peek

It is still very warm here in Cornwall but you could be right.

maybe summer has gone too fast for me to notice but my other physalis plant is still lush green?

Yummy Plants

attachmentid=16169|

Purpling leaves in solanaceous veggies (tomatoes, peppers, Physalis) can be phosphorous, pH, or temperature related.

But there is also a bit of leaf mottling which would make me get out a hand lens to check for spider mites.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz