Is my apple tree sapling dying?!

I have grown this apple tree from a seed and so far it has been healthy and growing really quickly. It sits on my window sill with plenty of light and although it is far down in the plant pot, this hasn't been a problem for it so far. I water it every day, but never too much as there is no drainage. The soil is damp to touch at the moment. I also give it a small amount of plant food once a week.

I did add some new soil on the top at the same time that the red spots appeared.

Hopefully someone will be able to help before I loose it completely!

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: New Image.JPG | |Download:
Lucyj

How do you know? It needs sun. Apples are not indoor plants.

The

It's damp to the touch at the top, the bottom could be a swamp, this will kill the roots and then the tree.

It doesn't need weekly feeding. Depending on how much "a small amount" is it might, or might not, do harm.

Not a good idea. Some plants (tomatoes) will take being planted over-deep they just grow new roots off the stem, apples don't.

What red spots? I see no red spots here. I see one discoloured leaf and what looks like potting mix sprinkled over.

Re-pot at the right height into good potting mix in a pot with drainage and place in the sun. Don't over water or over feed. Don't expect too much, an apple grown from seed will be a genetic lucky dip and it isn't going to go too far in a pot anyway.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I have grown this apple tree from a seed and so far it has been healthy and growing really quickly. It sits on my window sill with plenty of light and although it is far down in the plant pot, this hasn't been a problem for it so far. I water it every day, but never too much as there is no drainage. The soil is damp to touch at the moment. I also give it a small amount of plant food once a week.

I did add some new soil on the top at the same time that the red spots appeared.

Hopefully someone will be able to help before I loose it completely!

Sorry to say, Yes. It's dying :-(

Hard to enumerate the mistakes, but... Supposing it were to thrive, did you know before you started this experiment:

Nelly