Pepper Follies

I had dinner with my family on Friday night. My sister, who I am slowly turning into a pepper geek, brought some pepper poppers and some stuffed peppers. Neither my parents or the visiting aunt like very hot peppers. They would be a mild on the Old El Paso scale. In fact, they think the mild stuff is pretty darn spicy.

So, as she was assuring them that none of the peppers were hot, and it was safe for them to try some, I picked up a Grenada Seasoning popper, and popped it into my mouth. It was tasty, but it seemed a little hotter than I expect a Grenada Seasoning pepper to taste.

Then the full heat hit.

I gasped, my eyes started watering, my face got red, and my nose ran. My aunt leaned over and asked if I was choking. I grabbed a piece of bread and bit it, grabbed my father's glass of milk and drank some, grabbed a glass of wine and tried that. Back to the bread, and by now everyone else at the table was doubled over laughing. I wiped the sweat off of my face and glared balefully, to no effect.

More bread, more milk, more wine, and the pain finally started to recede. My aunt and my mother both declared loudly that if those peppers could do that to me, they weren't going near them. My sister protested that Grenada Seasoning peppers weren't that hot, that we call them the "girlie" peppers they're so mild. I gave her a dirty look, and she, a little shame-faced, asked "do you think I got some Devil's Tongue peppers mixed up in there?"

Um...yeah!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

That, and for me anyhow, I know they're scorchers when my molars go numb and my ears start ringing. That's just TOO hot!

Reply to
Ken Anderson

Sounds like the story I read on one of the lists about they guy that thought it'd be funny to put Wasabi on the potluck table and tell people it was guacamole. ;-)

One guy got his revenge tho'...

A few months later, they were passing bottles around while standing around a campfire. He got out a bottle of grain alcohol, (195 proof everclear) and pretended to take a big swig. He then passed it to the moron that had pulled the wasabi joke and he DID take a bit swig!

Had a sore throat the whole next day.

I was LMAO when I read that!

K.

Reply to
Katra

Um, just to clarify, she really didn't realize she had mixed the hotties with the mild stuff. My sister would *never* do that to my mother, and my mother would have been serving herself from the same bunch of poppers that I did.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Sorry, I understand it was not deliberate and I apologize if I gave that impression...

It's just that both correlate as "unexpected surprises". ;-)

K.

Reply to
Katra