OT: Goober Peas!

Hi All,
Okay, I can't resist. The name cracks me up!
A "Goober Pea" is a legume (bean) that grows underground. It was not widely cultivated until the US Civil War, when the South started growing them to feed their soldier and their civilians. Before that, only the poorest of the poor ate them.
And when their soldiers were not Whistling Dixie, they were singing praises to Goober Peas:
https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/civil-war-music-eatin- goober-peas
Sitting by the Roadside on a summer’s day, chatting with my messmates passing time away, Lying in the shadow underneath the trees, Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Eating goober peas! Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
When a horseman passes, the soldiers have a rule, To cry out at their loudest “Mister here’s your mul e.” But another pleasure enchantinger than these, is wearing out your Grinders, eating goober peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Eating goober peas! Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
Just before the battle the General hears a row, He says the Yanks are coming, I hear their rifles now, He turns around in wonder, and what do you think he sees, The Georgia Militia, eating goober peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Eating goober peas! Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
I think my song has lasted almost long enough, The subject’s interesting, but rhymes are mighty rough, I wish this war was over when free from rags, and fleas, We’d kiss our wives and sweethearts and gobble goober peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas! Eating goober peas! Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas!
Oh ya. Today "Goober Peas" are knows as "Peanuts". No, I am now thinking of growing them!
:-)
-T
"Delicious?". I like them okay, but I would not call the "Delicious". Maybe they had a different variety back then or were just really hungry.
T wrote: ...

peanut butter is one of my staples of life. roasted peanuts. yum. but i don't eat them often because it isn't hard for me to overdo it.
if you are going to try to grow things like this you should also give some pea pods a try. i'm not going to look into it, but i don't think they're too bad for carbs when picked young.
songbird
On 2019-11-22 20:24, songbird wrote:

I definitely am not thinking of growing "Goodness how delicious" Goober peas! Name cracks me up.
Peas, pod and all, are on the menu.

    ...but I am. I grow at least one bed of goobers (peanuts), AKA "ground peas", almost every year. Along with "peas" and okra, peanuts are well-suited to Florida's long hot summers that typically begin in late April or May and often last well into October.
--
Derald
Peninsular FL, USA
On 2019-11-25 13:14, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Uh... do you sing the goober pea song when you eat them? Wait. Don't answer that.
Do they taste any better than store bought goobers?
I also heard rumor that they add nitrogen to the soil and are great to rotate nitrogen hungry plants through.
Don't get me wrong. I do like goober peas myself, but not enough to sing songs about them. And the name cracks me up. I don't think I will be able to call the peanuts ever again.
:-)

    nah; never even heard it. I am, after all, an old fart but not nearly THAT old!

    Oh, I think so, of course. Mine are harvested younger ("green") and are fresher (more fresh?) when prepared. One digs them, turns them over to dry a bit (makes the dirt easier to remove), and then picks the little suckers.

    Well, yes That's a bit oversimplified but it can happen.... All green plants return nitrogen to the earth after they decay, although, they remove nitrogen while they decay. Legumes just add more than most.
--
Derald
Peninsular FL, USA
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote: ...

i have fond memories of trying to grow one plant as a kid. i liked the plant, but it was in a small container and didn't do much - too cold, not enough light.
songbird
songbird wrote:

I've got peanut farms around me down here in SE VA.
They have a loooong growing season, so Michigan would be a no-fly zone for them.
I once tried growing a few with mixed results and never tried again.
Interesting fact: While an ordinary person/gardener can purchase a few certified peanut seeds for home use, it's illegal to *sell* the home-grown goobers. Farmers who grow them commercially have to have a license to sell the product, and those licenses are limited in number and quantity to be sold. There's a bit of a secondary market for farmers to re-sell licenses for a season where they know they won't be growing enough product to meet the maximum allowed by their licenses.
Nyssa, who is just full of useless information today
On 2019-11-26 06:17, Nyssa wrote:

Price fixing or some other reason?
On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 10:15:47 AM UTC-5, T wrote:

Government price support like they used to support tobacco and still support sugar.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yep, that and avoiding any big surplus or glut on the market that would drive prices downward.
Nyssa, who wonders how much her peanut butter would cost without government's "help"
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 4:24:52 PM UTC-5, T wrote:

goober-peas

e.”

We have been buying one-pound bags of roasted peanuts from our local farm s tore. I jokingly told my wife that she should buy a large bag to roast ours elves. Today she came home with a 50-pound bag of raw peanuts.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote: ...

hahaha! merry christmas!
songbird
On 2019-12-05 14:35, Pavel314 wrote:

Ha! Got even with you!
How do goobers taste raw?
T wrote:

not like much, people use them for some things like making peanut butter cookies and peanut candies but a lot of times you'll see them for sale boiled in places.
can't say i've had them like that, but i have tasted them raw.
pass.
roasted they're good, peanut butter is one of my most common food items. i usually eat some every day (with my breakfast banana).
songbird
On 2019-12-06 06:36, songbird wrote:

If you are watching your carbs, a banana is three teaspoons of sugar and no fat. It is more healthy just to eat a donuts. Franken fruit are a diabetic's nightmare.
The peanut butter is pretty good for you.
My breakfast is high fat and high protein and very low carb. Pork chops, eggs, bacon, avocado, etc..
On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 2:44:51 AM UTC-5, T wrote:

Ever taste raw beans? Pretty much the same.
On 2019-12-06 06:57, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh YUM!
On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 4:24:52 PM UTC-5, T wrote:

goober-peas

e.”

I tasted a few raw peanuts from the bag my wife bought; they taste like pea nuts but have an aftertaste not found in the roasted ones. Hard to describe , sort of a faint vegetable taste to them, like eating raw versus cooked po tatoes.
The raw peanuts averaged nine per ounce or 144 per pound. At that rate, our 50-lb bag contains 7,200 peanuts.
Paul